Next handgun?

CMichael

I am relatively new to handguns.

I got a Glock 19 for my CPL, and simply to have fun.

I have been doing the range thing about 3x a week, and I am getting more proficient with it.

My question is what should be my next handgun?

I want to stress that I am pretty new to handguns.

Bascially, I want to have fun, but it would be cool to be able to use it for concealed as well.

So what do you guys suggest?

This is me this morning at 5-10 yards.

Range0623105-10yards.jpg

This is me this morning at 20 yards

Range06231020yards.jpg

I am showing these pictures so you know where I am at.

Thank you.

I appreciate the input.

I want to spend about $500.

Last edited:

KyJim

You could stick with the Glocks since you are familiar with the platform. A G26 would be even more compact than your 19.

If you are looking for a bit of variety, you might consider a Commander or CCO sized 1911. They both have a 4.25 inch barrel which is easy to conceal because it's flat. A CCO sized frame is a bit shorter and holds one less round. The downside is that they can be a bit on the expensive side -- $700 to $800 and up.

pythagorean

Your Glock is already in a reasonable caliber and is concealable.
Since you have a centerfire (9mm) which is very versatile perhaps considering a .22 rimfire is another idea.

I'd suggest any of these:

17-3 Smith and Wesson
PB170598.jpg

41 Smith and Wesson
PA170006.jpg

Colt New Frontier .22/.22 WMR
130.jpg

The .22 will teach you things to improve your shooting.

glockopop

If you can master the trigger on a double action revolver, you'll be able to shoot anything well. I'd suggest a S&W K frame.

Sevens

The main reason you need a .22LR pistol is because you can shoot five hundred rounds for pretty close to the same money as 50 rounds of most other handgun ammo.

The trigger time and practice time will make you a better shot. It's a blast, they are easy to shoot and easy to shoot very well -- they inspire confidence.

Since we are in the Semi-Auto forum, I figure you are in the market for a semi-auto. .22 semi-autos end up being a lot of gun for comparably less money.

I would recommend a used Ruger Mark II.

CMichael

I want to listen more than talk in this thread.

Please keep it coming.

I should have said this. I also have a .22 taurus, but I never use it.

Love Gun

Ruger SP101. Very concealable and easy to shoot. Can be had in .357 so you can shoot .38s for practice, or .327 which is ballistically similar to .357 and will allow you to shoot .32 H&R magnum or .32 S&W short or long for practice. All in all a great gun in my opinion. I saw several people mention .22s also which is a good suggestion as well. They're fun, and ammo is inexpensive, so you can have a field day at the range!

Xfire68

Many of the guns that some of you are recommending are out of his budget range!

A Browning Hi-Power for $500?

A H&K USP for $500?

FALacy

Same. Standardizing ammunition is extremely convenient. It gets you used to the exact capabilities and performance of the round.

I'd stick with the same platform too. It is very nice to be able to go from gun to gun and not have to make drastic adjustments. Glock has plenty of firearms that are different from your 19 enough to be new and interesting yet similar enough that you'll be able to be consistant in your grip and shooting style that it'll up your game for your range and carry guns.

Look into the Glock 34. The extended controls are awesome, the triggers are excellent, similar grip to your 19, you can use the same ammunition and use the 34 magazines in your 19, and it is the best gun for USPSA Production and IDPA SSP if you ever compete. Very accurate and Glock reliability. One can be found for $550 if you look hard enough. If you're really lucky someone could be dumb enough to sell one and you could get it for an even better price! Trust me it is in a whole different league from your 19. You'll be amazed.

varoadking

Get an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for your Glock and practice, practice, practice...on the cheap...

Software beats hardware every time...

CMichael

When I was picking out my Glock 19, I also tried the S&W M&P .40. It felt nice.

What do you guys think about that gun?

jfrey

Stay with the same caliber for now. That way you can share ammo between guns. I would suggest you look at the Walther PPS or the Kahr CW9 for carry. Both are good shooters and very slim for carry purposes. The Walther has a Glock-like trigger but most of the time smoother. Don't be put off by the long trigger on the Kahr. It is long but smoother yet after a few rounds.

After that, get yourself a 1911 pistol. Everyone should have at least one in their collection. They shoot great and are very addictive once you find one you like. I never go to the range without one.

FALacy

Get a Glock 35 if you want something in .40

Seriously though, reread my posts in here and try to find a reason not to get the Glock 34, I'd love to hear it :D

I'd also save up for a few thousand rounds of 9mm for your 19. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but those are pretty poor groups for 20 yards and less unless it's very rapid fire. A good shooter should be able to hold a magazine within a fist sized group at 20 yards in slow, unsupported fire.

Last edited:

CMichael

I know. I very very much appreciate your input.

I was checking out the Glock 34 online. It seems to be a competition pistol, which is great.

I am just exploring everything.

I very much appreciate the input.