Newly Acquired Mossberg 500 ATP

lamarw

I acquired this gun today for less than a hundred and a half. Seems to be a good solid gun and was actually very clean for a surplus gun. I am not sure, but I think it was a former Alabama State Trooper gun.

Hope it just collects dust while loaded with 8 round and behind the bedroom door.

Attachments

• Mossy 2.jpg
    Mossy 2.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 343

lamarw

The gun has over 80% of its bluing and no rust. Prior to the picture, I had cleaned the wood and padded on a few coats of orange shellac and finished it with high quality paste wax. It is more than presentable in my view. There were a few light scratches/scuffs when I received it. They disappeared with the cleaning and orange shellac. It still has its original finish underneath.

I don't think they used high quality wood with a lot of beautiful grain on these guns when manufactured. It was more of a service gun vs. show piece.

lamarw

I think it is the typical Mossy 500 with the shorter (20 inch smooth barrel) and with an extended magazine. I believe the A in ATP refers to it being a 12 gauge and the TP is for Tactical Police. This part is an assumption on my part. I read somewhere the gun furniture was made to shine smoothly vs. checkering and etc. since it was the "drathers" of military and police of the era. (Spit & Shine).
Mossberg may of used it as a subtle marketing tool.

Does anyone know the approximate dating of this gun? I have provided the serial number to Mossberg for date of manufacture. I am guessing 70s era.

Sarge

I've had several 870's & 500's. I still like them both and I wouldn't run from a good 500-based shotgun. It is an excellent design and I'm betting you'll like it just fine.

lamarw

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. Here are a couple of more pics.

Attachments

• Mossy 3.jpg
    Mossy 3.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Mossy 4.jpg
    Mossy 4.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 139

lamarw

Thanks DD. The seller on GunBroker has several more up for auction. Yall bid them up so I can feel even better about my buy. LOL

I am pleased with mine. Also, Mossberg will accept the barrel back and factory reblue it for $35.00. The sad part is it cost almost that much to ship it. Then Mossberg has to ship it back to you. I can't see how they make any money on it. :confused:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Shipping shouldn't be that much... It is light weight and don't need declared as it is just a piece of metal pipe... NOT FIREARMS.

Just pack it in a poster tube and ship it.
Brent

lamarw

You are correct, but I wanted it insured and a receipt notifications. A lost barrel will cost you more than a gun. The shipping was about twenty bucks. I feel better knowing it is tracked and insured. Of course, I am one of the cautious types. It was not shipped as a firearm.

Without tracking and insurance, you could probably ship it for ten or twelve bucks. Shipping cost have really gone up recently.

But once again, you are correct and it does not take much packing since it is not fragile to say the least. A lost item is my concern. :)

ep2621

Good find, I'd have bought it too. I like the wood stock / forearm better than synthetic. 500s are good guns BTW.
I really like where you libe too. Very nice.

lamarw

Oh don't get me started on Lake Martin. By the way, thanks for the comments. Lake Martin is known as the Crown Jewel of the South East. I know Texas has some wonderful lakes to boot. It is a little more than a resevoir since it is over 40,000 square acres and has more than 525 miles of shore line. It was created as a man made lake in 1926 and was the largest man made lake of the era. Alabama now has two or three larger lakes plus there are many others elsewhere. Lake Martin no longer even falls within the top ten.

What it does have is the cleanest water anywhere. You can easily see six ft down.

I love the fact you can own the property all the way to the lake line. There is no buffer zone as you have on Corp of Engineer lakes.

To keep this gun related, the deer and turkey hunting is great in this area. You can hunt with either rifles or shotguns. There are lots of geese and ducks but few waterfowl hunters in this region.

Hank Williams even wrote several of his great songs while staying in a small Lake Martin cabin. Poor ol Kowaliga was one, So Lonsome I Could Cry, and a few other beer drinking songs.