Newer Style Sig P226 (with rail) vs. older style w/ no rail

Rich Miranda

I just purchased a used (ahem, pre-owned) Sig P226. It is the older style without the rail. I'd like to purchase a few spare magazines for it, maybe even a 20 capacity.

Are there any differences between the magazines of the older and newer styles? The Sig website is silent on the issue, and MidwayUSA does not make any distinction, but I though I'd ask before I go and order mags that don't fit right.

By the way, I have always been told that the correct term is magazine, but is clip ever acceptable?

IdahoG36

You will be fine. The mags are exactly the same. I would recommend to you that you use either Sig factory mags or MecGar mags. All the rest are a waste of money.

IdahoG36

One other thing I forgot to tell you is that if you want any 20 round mags, they are quite expensive. The last I saw they were $60-$70 each. If you can live with 3 rounds less capacity, the MecGars are a good deal. MecGar makes most gun company's factory mags anyways. They are usually a little cheaper than factory mags just because they say Mecgar on the side. I have had nothing but good luck with MecGar mags. That's all I use for my Beretta 92FS Vertec.

ChicagoTex

Mec-Gar in fact makes the official mags for many european manufacturers including Beretta, SIG, and CZ - though they are sometimes made to a different spec.

However, trust me when I say you don't want Mec-Gars for the Ruger Mark II.

2cooltoolz

I've bought (and used) the MecGar 17 rd mag in my non-rail P226 9mm. No problems so far, but I honestly haven't run over 30-40 rounds through mine, all FMJ.