Newer Remington ?

crimsondave

I have several Remingtons, but they are all 10 + years old. For the money out of the box they were hard to beat. However, I have heard that is not the case anymore with the new models. Do you all know if that is true, or is that just rumor?

I'm wanting a new H bar. varmit bolt action in .223. I had a 700 Sendero .223about 10 years ago that I traded that would shoot 5 on (not in) a dime. Is that beyond expectations for a new one now? Is there a new bolt gun for under $1000 that will do this?

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll get lots of replys... you asked, so here are my thoughts...

I have a lot of "old" Remingtons, & only a couple new ones....

Todays Remington is not the same gun your father shot... I think you can still get good rifles from them, but alot of them are "not worth the money" IMO... I think the "tactical / police rifles in 223 & 308 are still good quality rifles... however, IMO over priced for what you get, & the last couple I looked over had permanent marring on the stock on one, & on the barrel on another, because of the cheap way they were packaged in shipping to the dealer, who was forced to try to clean them up so they didn't look so bad...

alot are no longer build in the U.S. quite a few in Russia

Savage & Tika IMO better "deals" right now... or an older lightly used Remington, I'd not think twice about buying...

Scorch

Remington 700s are still a great rifle. That said, they do offer quite a few models with plastic injection-molded stocks and blasted finishes that are offered at lower prices, but their top of the line models are essentially the same as they used to be.

taylorce1

I've shot two new in box remington ADL's over the last 5 years. I was able to get 1.5" consistantly out of them at 100 yards with most bullets factory and my reloads. Calibers were .30-06 and .270 Win, I don't have them anymore because I trade and Rem 700's are some of the easiest rifles to offer up. I was never dissapointed in either rifle even with the cheap synthetic stock.

They are solid performers for hunting. I did have a trigger job done on both, and they do have a good adjustable trigger that I had set around 3 lbs on each. I took my first black bear with the .30-06 in AK in 2006 one shot @ 200 yards DRT.

I don't miss either rifle, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a new Rem 700 if the deal was right especially the XCR or CDL rifles.

Bigfatts

Remingtons are ok but they don't do it for me. I just sold my 700 not long ago (a .308 BDL) and I don't miss it at all, should have kept the scope that was on it though. If I were going to buy a new production rifle my choices would be between Savage and CZ.

Grainraiser

Remington still make great rifles. You just have to avoid the 710 & 770. They cut way to many corners on these two models. The 700 is still a great gun just like it has always been.

223 shooter

The two most accurate rifles I have ever owned are Remington 700s that were made within the last 5 years. My 700LTR .223 was bought new in 2005 and my 700SPS Varmint .223 was bought new in 2007. Also owned a 700P in .308, bought new in 2004 that was quite a good shooter but eventually used it as trade fodder for the LTR.

Palmetto-Pride

I have a new(6 months old) .308 700 SPS Varmint that will easley shoot 1/2 MOA with Match ammo. I only paid $499.99 for it brand new. I loaned it to my brother this year for deer hunting and he made his furthest shot ever on a 8 point.

Last edited:

UniversalFrost

huge remington fan and loyal supporter and my safes are half fulls of remingtons. the newer remingtons are built well, but i would stay away from the SPS models though. poor stocks with lots of flex up front, triggers suck on the sps (unless they have the newer trigger), and barrels are not as good as what they used to be on standard 700 ADL's, but with rough cut chambers and throats that are too far forward (even for remington standards), the SPS line is the economy versions.

oh, and stay away from teh 710 and 770. they are not worth the money. pure bargain basement junk wrapped in a shiny wrapper to sucker in folks that can't afford the BDL, CDL or classic line.

Palmetto-Pride

Can you provide a link sourceing your claims? I know the stocks arn't that great on the SPS line, but I don't think that they change there tooling to cut the chambers and barrel different from any other 700. I don't see how that would save them money.

UniversalFrost

SPS is the bottom of the 700 line , you can search here or the other forums for the info. I personally have looked down the bore of many at gun shops and all are rough compared to a BDL, CDL, etc... only ones that are worse are the 710's and 770's.

i think the sps models need to go away. they are making a bad name of the 700 line up.