Newbie Reloader, loading for semiauto questions

shooter_john

I am about to start reloading, primarily 223, 40, and 308 when I get one. Is there anything in particular that I need to know or do as far as reloading for semiautomatic rifles. (ar15 and M1A1) I have a good friend who does a lot of loading and is teaching me the ins and outs. Just want to be sure I have all the equipment and techniques for semi autos so I don't tear up a weapon.
Thanks!!!

30Cal

Full length resize. Make sure your primers are all below flush (the US service rifles have freefloating firing pins). Stick with the recommended powders.

Ty

Smokey Joe

Reloading resources

Shooter John--You're Doing It Right--You have a mentor to teach you the ins and outs, and to answer questions as they arise.

Couple other items--You want yr own copies of reloading manuals. My fave is Lyman's 48th ed, but there are several good ones. You want the recipie right at hand when you are home doing your own reloading.

The other book that is an essential for newbies--and oldbies, too--is The ABC's of Reloading put out by Krause Publishing www.krause.com
You can order it direct, find it in yr local sptg gds sto, a gun sho, or on the I'net. It is now in its 7th edition. This book is not a reloading manual, not a recipie book. It IS a how-to and why-to book, and it is much more detailed than the summaries at the start of loading manuals. XLNT resource for any reloader IMHO.

Leftoverdj

Fired milsurp brass can give problems with stuck cases. My theory is that a case that has been fired in an oversized chamber expands more readily than one that has not even after resizing. If you use milsurp brass, and I still do, keep your loads light and a cleaning rod handy.

MrGee

no smoking, no TV an pay attention ... a lot of things to watch for your playing w/ hands & face try to learn more then your teacher don't just follow along , he could be making mistakes too ... its easy to make errors...
all the above info is good stuff ...... especially read the book
good luck an have fun,........ :)

wogpotter

semi-auto reloading (dies)

You MAY need small base dies.
The idea is that most std. dies do not fully resize the whole case (to reduce brass fatigue) & this can cause jamming in semi-autos where there is less primary extraction force, as compared to a bolt gun.
Having said that neither my M1a, nor my FAL have needed this.
Maybe that's the origin of the "military brass sticking" post earlier in the thread.
The other thing to watch out for is the type of powder to use. Some will give different port pressures than the gun was designed for, while being fully in spec. for chamber pressure.

Crimping the brass MAY be needed.
To test:
Load a dummy round (no powder or primer)
put it into the bottojm of a magazine.
load the whole mag. over it.
fire all except the dummy (do not chamber it)
Measure the length again.
If it has changed then crimping, although a pain, will solve the problem.
Other than this there is no special technique for a semi-auto, as opposed to anything else.
Good luck & Enjoy!