Newbie question: patches

Ding

Pardon my ignorance, but this has been bugging me for a quite a while now. I know patches are used for bore cleaning, but how? Where do you get them, and how do you use them?

Thanks.

Jim V

Patches...

are small square or round cotton cleaning cloths that are pushed through the bore of the firarm. They can be obtained from any sporting goods store. You will get a small supply in a gun cleaning kit.

Captain Bligh

You can buy patches at lots of stores, K-mart, Meijers, probably even Walmart to say nothing of gun stores. Of course, back before I had money to pay for store-bought patches a worn out white cotton T-shirt had lots of patches in it too.

RJ

Hot Core

Hey Ding, I cut the vast majority of my patches out of "Paper Towels". You have to use a strong one, like a paper Shop Towel, but I like them better than cloth patches.

You can normally find these in a "Blue" color about anywhere, but you can also find them in "White" at hardware stores like Furrow, Lowe's, Home Quarters, etc. It is best to have the White, so you can see if there are "blue streaks" of copper residue coming out as you clean.

In order to use them without tearing, I use a solid Jag that I've modified by filing off the sharp tip. Using one size smaller jag than normal allows me to fold the patch a time or two and it conforms very well into the grooves.

But Ding, how are you cleaning your barrels if you are not using "patches"?

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Ding

Thanks for all your help

Actually, I was using makeshift patches. I took a big cotton patch that I found at home and tore it into four pieces that were just big enough to be pushed though the bore of my Mak using the takedown tool. I was just wondering whether the patches you people use were any different from just, well, patches.

Monkeyleg

I'll second that vote for the paper shop towels. They have more "tooth" to them, which I believe makes them better for scrubbing the bore. I also hate paying three bucks for a bunch of pieces of cloth.

Dick