Newbie question here

sandmansans

Hi all,
I did a search and didn't come up with anything, but I was wondering if anyone could offer insight regarding an upcoming purchase.

I've grown up around revolvers my whole life and recently the idea of fast draw has become more appealing to me. I'd like to hear some of your opinions as to a good and reasonably priced, 45 lc S.A. revolver for this purpose. I went into my local sporting goods store and was shown a Taylor. Brand new at 489. It looks pretty good, but again I don't know much about the genre to make the decision right away.

Thank you in advance. I've lurked on the site before joining over the last year or so and have enjoyed reading the educated replies and posts.

KEYBEAR

I know little about the gun your looking at or anything about fast draw ?

I would look at some cowboy action shooting web sites . From what I have seen the Ruger Vaquero is king . A new Ruger Vaquero in 45 with a 4.5/8 barrel should work fine .

sandmansans

I know little about the gun your looking at or anything about fast draw ?

I would look at some cowboy action shooting web sites . From what I have seen the Ruger Vaquero is king . A new Ruger Vaquero in 45 with a 4.5/8 barrel should work fine .
Yea I know about the vaquero and of course the colt army, but was thinking of more cost friendly rigs as I am completely new to it. Eventually I'd like to treat myself to a nicer model such as those, but for now a lower cost one would suffice.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Both Taylor and Cimmaron sell revolvers made by Uberti. The Italian maker produces a wide variety of reproduction revolvers, including percussion revolvers, SAA copies and guns like an S&W Schofield clone. Quality is generally high and customer satisfaction is good.

Jim

sandmansans

Both Taylor and Cimmaron sell revolvers made by Uberti. The Italian maker produces a wide variety of reproduction revolvers, including percussion revolvers, SAA copies and guns like an S&W Schofield clone. Quality is generally high and customer satisfaction is good.

Jim
Hey Jim,
Thanks for your reply. That actually helped with some of my confusion as I saw a Taylor cattleman, but when doing a Google search it came up as an Uberti. I guess uberti sold them rights to do so?

Also, sounds silly but never owned a blued steel gun and likely I would get it like that. I have experience obviously with ss and chrome...is care and cleaning the same?

James K

Member In Memoriam
Uberti is the actual manufacturer. Taylor, Cimarron, and others just have Uberti put their names on the guns. That is a common practice, dating back well over a century when Sears and Montgomery Ward mail-order houses got makers of guns, radios, TV's, washers, etc. to mark their products with the seller's name or trademark (e.g., Silvertone, J.C. Higgins, Kenmore).

Jim

Bob Wright

Single Action copies of the Colt are made by Uberti and Pietta (not too sure of the spelling) and imported by numerous importers. Both of these Italian copies are very good alternatives to a more expensive Colt. And either work well for quick-draw practice.

The Ruger Vaquero is also very good, and with its transfer bar might just be a slightly better choice.

By the way, special ammunition is required for using wax bullets in this sport, or use of blank cartridges. For the beginner, never use live ammunition ~ too much at stake. Also a holster with a metal lining deflector is a good idea.

Quick draw is fun, and if a few observances are followed, is entirely safe.

Bob Wright

aarondhgraham

I knew a few fast draw competitors,,,

Back in the late 90's,,,
I knew a few fast draw competitors.

They all used Ruger Vaquero's.

The reason was that if you really want to be competitive,,,
The gun needed to have the action fine-tuned.

These men all swore that the Rugers tuned better than any other.

Aarond

IMHO the CAS and SSA shooters are the ones to talk too.

He is already talking to a CAS shooter. Me. And I have already said that CAS and Fast Draw are very different. Generally speaking, CAS guys don't know much about Fast Draw. The people to talk to are those who already shoot Fast Draw. Follow the link I provided. Read what that guy has to say and watch the videos. He provides a lot of answers.

Pay attention to what he said about the gun should be 45 caliber and the barrel should be 4 5/8".

Now.................. in my not so humble opinion, if you are going to be thumb cocking the revolver, you can use any single action revolver; Colt, Uberti, Pietta, etc. However if you are going to be fanning it you might want to go with a Ruger New Vaquero. Fanning puts a lot more stress on the lockwork than thumb cocking does. When fanning the gun, the palm slams the hammer spur back with a great deal of force. Much more force than the thumb is capable of delivering. That force puts the hand in compression between its pivot point on the hammer and the ratchet teeth on the rear of the cylinder. Over time this can cause premature stress to the lockwork, perhaps peening over the ratchet teeth, perhaps stressing the hole in the hammer where the hand pivots. The lockwork of a Vaquero is not only different than a Colt or Clone, it is more robust. The cross sections of the parts are more massive, and they can absorb more abuse than the more finely proportioned parts in a Colt or clone. I have lots of single action revolvers. But if I was going to be taking up Fast Draw, I would go with a 45 caliber Ruger New Vaquero with a 4 5/8" barrel. The parts are stronger, and the gun will probably last longer.

But that's just me.

bedbugbilly

I have Ubertis and love them. I have a abut 357 4 3/4" barrel Bisley that is a great shooter. I just got my Uberti 7 1/2" steel Cattleman SAA in 45 Colt . . and it too, is very high quality and a great shooter.

As mentioned already . . Taylor and Cimarron are Uberti with their markings on them. Google their sites and take a look. Also, google Uberti (USA). I ordered mine through a LGS that I've purchased a number of guns from over the years. My final price, OTD, at the LGS was well below the MSRP as shown on the sites.

Id you are looking and price is a concern . . they offer the Hombre which you can get in 45 Colt. As you'll see, there are various options on various models - i.e. steel back straps and trigger guards versus brass, etc. The Hombre is what I would call a "budget priced" model . . . not a blued finish like the Cattleman, etc. but certainly just as good as far as quality and shooting. I wanted a 7 1/2" blued steel for a number of reasons. My plans are to get a 4 3/4" barrel model for an easier carry at times when I want a 45 Colt and I've already decided it will be an Hombre model. It's going to get holster wear regardless of the finish and it's going to be a "shooter" . . . not a 'looker".

I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of the Ubertis. Good luck and how you find something you like! :)

UncleEd

Real fast drawer SAs if I recall correctly are highly modified with extra long leads into the bolt notches, re-enforced bolts/springs among other things.

You don't just take an Uberti and go into fast draw competition except as a very new and inexperienced shooter and you better practice, practice, practice for safety's sake. Or you'll shoot your leg or someone else's body part.

The holster rigs also are not the run of mill cowboy action stuff which usually mimic a lot of the 19th century products. I believe a good fast draw competition holster rig will cost much more than an Uberti itself.

You don't just take an Uberti and go into fast draw competition except as a very new and inexperienced shooter and you better practice, practice, practice for safety's sake. Or you'll shoot your leg or someone else's body part.

They shoot wax bullets or blanks in Fast Draw, not live ammunition.

salvadore

If I ever want to shoot CAS or fast draw, I hope someone would put me out of my misery. If they didn't I'd take Driftwood's advice.