Newbie Question about GP-100

elco93

Following some of the great advice here, I tried out a new 4" Blued GP-100 the other day and really liked it so I put down a deposit on the revolver to hold it.(I am still waiting on my N.C. Purchase Permit to go through - 3 wks).

I noticed it had fixed sites which doesn't bother me since this is primarily for home defense\recreational shooting. However, looking on Ruger's website there are two 4" revolvers with fixed sights that appear almost identical, the GPF-340 and GPF-341. Obviously the model I picked out is one of these and I am just curious what the difference is between the two, other than the nominal difference in weight.

Regardless of which, I am still happy with my new upcoming purchase... :D

strange246

The 340 has a half shrouded barrel and the 341 has a full shrouded barrel...In other words the 340 looks more like the old security six....

WolfDog

Yep that is correct. The 1 in the end of the model number is for the Full Shroud barrel. If it has the full shroud that is great as it will help soak up a bit of the muzzel flip when firing full Magnum Rounds.

I have the KGP-141 which is the 4" adjustable sight full lug barrel Version of the GP and love it. It is my soon to be concealed carry sidearm once I finalise the NC CHL paperwork and get it sent in. The CHL class was easy as was the range qualification.