newbie accuracy?

Danxyz53

I have just gone back in to shooting after a 25 year hiatus. I recently bought a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 (AR 15). I put an Eotech 512 sight on the gun and have been getting acquainted with this new toy.

I've been keeping my targets and tracking how far my shots have been from the bull's-eye. At 25 yards, the average shot is 1.5 inches from the center. At 50 yards, my average error is 2.1 inches and at 75 yards the average error is 3.8 inches. The site is a 1X magnification and I'm shooting from a standing up position. I did try to center the sight from the bench, but found that there was a difference in the relationship between the red dot and where the bullet went on the bench versus standing. The data at 50 and 75 yards represent about 100 rounds at each distance, so this is a fairly representative sample.

I was just curious what other casual shooters are achieving in terms of accuracy at these distances without magnification. I don't have a strap on the gun and being able to stabalize my arm with the strap may help my accuracy some, but I don't see me getting a whole lot better at 50 and 75 yards. I will work on trying to get my shots off more rapidly, as I'm probably spending 5 seconds between each shot to reacquire the target.

The next trip to shooting range will include some shots at 100 yards, but I can barely see the bull's-eye with my lousy 56 year old eyes at that distance.

kraigwy

Best way to improve your off hand, or standing position is Hours upon Hours of dry firing.

Assuming you have the proper Off Hand Position:

1: Position Foundation: With the rifle in hands, turn the body 90* from the target.

2: Left Elbow: Place directly under the rifle on the left side or hip

3. Head Position: Butt up-heads up. Bring the rifle to the head, keep head straight as possible.

4: Rifle Height Adjustment: Select hand-wrist position that raises the rifle to the target.

Thats the basics standing. The rest is refinements.

Assume a good standing position, with proper sight picture. When you're all set, close the eyes and dry fire. Without moving the rifle, open your eyes to if you still have the perfect natural point of aim. If not adjust it. For elevation change the non firing hand (per #4). For windage adjust your feet. If shooting left, move your right foot back a tad, if shooting right move your right foot a tad to the left. Keep as close to 90* or a little more, NEVER LESS THEN 90*.

Once you can dry fire with your eyes shut, without disturbing your natural point of aim. then work on your trigger. You want a SMOOTH, straight back pull without disturbing your sight picture.

There is no way you can stop movement in the off hand position. You can slow it down or control it. Don't mussel the rifle, you need to be relaxed.

Best thing about Off Hand is its a cheap fix, meaning you do it dry firing. Hours upon Hours. You can do this in your house or yard. You don't need to drive to the range.

Another thing, even dry firing, get a score/data book and record your calls. Learn to mark down exactly where the sights were when the hammer falls.

Later when you move to the range you can compare your calls with your shots and work on your zero.

Can't express enough the value of dry firing, especially in the off hand position. Thats how you work on, and develope a SMOOTH trigger pull, and position, that doesn't disturb your natural point of aim.

oneshot onekill

It's important with an Eotech that your dominant eye relates to your shooting hand because that sight is made to use with both eyes open.

At 100yds off a bench you will most likely only achieve 1.5-2MOA using average ammo with a 16" barrel so you're not doing bad. Keep up the good work!