Newb scale snafu - what would you do?

darrentxs

Yesterday I bought a box full of used Lyman reloading gear. A bag of corn cob media from the tumbler came open and went everywhere. I had to completey clean everything.

The scale is a Lyman 500 balance type. The aluminum dish that hangs on the beam had media stuck around the inside edges under the rim of a flat plate held in place by a screw. I thought no biggie, I'll just blow on it. No good it was stuck.

So I loosened the screw & about 1/3 of the lead shot rolled out before I knew it. I didn't even know it was in there (newb).

I understand the scale was calibrated at the factory. I was wondering if it can be recalibrated by me? I have a friend at work that reloads. Do you think if I had it side by side with his scale and used some check weights we could match it up and trust it?

Sevens

I would think yes, exactly that-- you could weigh something on his scale, then weigh exactly the same thing on your scale, and zero your scale to read what his reads.

I'd suggest you use multiple items for this, and do the checks multiple times. When I'm checking the zero on my scale, I weigh a known .224 bullet (55 grains) and a known .45 Hardball (229.7 grains) and when I see those numbers, I know I'm good to go.

rg1

I don't think the shot in the bowl is precisely calibrated by weight. It's just enough weight to compensate for the weight of the arm on the opposite side of the pivot. The shot should weigh enough so that when you have the powder pan on the balance you can achieve "zero" on the pointer. Add appropriate shot back to the bowl until you can zero the pointer somewhere in the middle of the balance adjustment range. Again, after doing this double check your scale to verify it is weighing correctly with small and large charge weights.

wncchester

You were right, it's no biggie. Those "lead balls" under that cover are to zero the beam and you can do it yourself.

1. Set the scale on any level surface and adjust the leveling screw until the scales base is horizontal.
2. Hang the pan, AND the cover + screw, on the right end of the beam. The beam will rise to its limits and you will have to add weight to bring it down.
3. Add or remove lead to the pan until the pointer at the left end of the beam is within maybe one or two marks on the marked sticker, that thing reads in tenths of a grain.
4. Adjust the leveling screw to insure that you can actually adjust the base so the beam will read zero. (If so, and it will be, you are home free!)
5. Place the round cover over the weights you installed and screw it back together. You are done!

You can get bird shot from a cut shotgun shell but there is no magic in shot, you can use anything you wish for the weights. I prefer a length of solid wire solder that I trim to length to attain zero, it won't fly out and get lost if I need to clean the hanger!

darrentxs

Thanks guys, you sure put my mind at ease. I'll follow your advice carefully. I think I'll use a washer to get it close and solder wire for the fine tuning. I don't want to go through it again.

Last edited: