New York state pistol permit & Contenders...

44 AMP

Staff
Just had an off the wall thought, so, a question for NY state residents that own T/C Contenders (or any other multicaliber pistols)..

When I lived in NY and had a permit, pistols were listed on the permit by make, caliber, barrel length and serial number. Never had a Contender back then, but now I got to wondering how they were listed on the permit, then, and/or now.

Do they list one caliber & barrel length only? Do they require an "amendment" or some other paperwork to cover each different barrel???

Are you at risk of arrest for having a pistol not on your permit if the permit says Ser#12345 .38 caliber and you've got a .44 barrel on it? Just curious....

Thanks...

heyjoe

it lists caliber not barrel length. the other question about switching barrels I don't have the answer to.

mikejonestkd

My contender and encores are listed by barrels.
every barrel purchase in a new cartridge is supposed to prompt a visit to the county clerk to add it to your permit.

Metal god

I’m not in NY but CA has every handgun you wish to carry on the permit. When transporting firearms in CA they must be locked up unless you have a ccw with said firearm on it . I went ahead and had my two carry guns added and my five most used at the range also added even though I will not carry those . I did this because now when I’m headed to the range there is no legal need to lock up the firearms I’ll likely be taking .

Thought I’d throw that out there for those that are required to have there firearm on there license. Put as many as you can .

Paul B.

"I’m not in NY but CA has every handgun you wish to carry on the permit."

My hunting partner that lives in Nevada said they have just about the same thing at least for guns they want to carry concealed. I'll have to ask him if open carry is affected. Here in Arizona, we're constitutional now. before one needed a permit but no listing of firearms on the permit. I renew mine as I travel though a few other states that recognize my CCW.
Paul B.

Metal god

I’ve had a Nevada permit for years and don’t have any guns on it . I don’t live there but go get it renewed every 4 years . Needs to be renewed next year , maybe they changed the allowable carry gun aspect of the permit since my last renewal. I’ll have to look into that .

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
44 AMP said:
Just had an off the wall thought, so, a question for NY state residents that own T/C Contenders (or any other multicaliber pistols)..

When I lived in NY and had a permit, pistols were listed on the permit by make, caliber, barrel length and serial number. Never had a Contender back then, but now I got to wondering how they were listed on the permit, then, and/or now.

Do they list one caliber & barrel length only? Do they require an "amendment" or some other paperwork to cover each different barrel???

Are you at risk of arrest for having a pistol not on your permit if the permit says Ser#12345 .38 caliber and you've got a .44 barrel on it? Just curious....

Thanks...

When I got my NY permit back in '09 (Broome County), they had a whole mess of false information that they presented in a packet.

One being that if you moved out of state you were required to use an FFL to send your handguns to an FFL in the other state and have them do a transfer.

Another was that you had to register every barrel you got for guns like the Encore/Contender. The thing that really confused them was when I bought an Encore Pro Hunter with no barrel. The NY definition of a pistol (Penal Code 180.3c Definition of Firearms) includes barrel length... so an Encore with no barrel wasn't a pistol... but in order to put a pistol barrel on it, you had to have it registered on your permit, which required a caliber. They finally decided that they couldn't put it on my permit until I had a barrel to add for caliber.

Fact was, at the time (maybe still?), T/C had Pro Hunter frames labelled as not for sale in NY because of the requirement that all "pistols" sold in the state had a fired case that could be sent to the state police. Since a frame had no barrel and no fired case, they wouldn't sell one. I actually got EABco to call the State Police office that processed the cases after I talked to the officer in charge there and he agreed that the Pro Hunter frame was not a pistol and did not require that a fired case be sent in.
EABco changed their policy because of that call and sold me the gun.

Anyway, the claim that the caliber had to be listed was really never true, as a matter of law, on a state level, nor even in most counties (including Broome when they said it was).

The variance between the way the counties handle permits in NY is amazing and there's actually almost no "real" rules, except the state rule that a permit is required. Some counties have "coupons" you can get before you even buy a gun, you just give the dealer the coupon and take the gun home, and then you have like 30 days to add the gun to your permit. Other counties, you had to buy the gun, get the info, go to the county, add the gun to your permit, get the paperwork, go back to the dealer and pick it up.

44 AMP

Staff
Anyway, the claim that the caliber had to be listed was really never true, as a matter of law, on a state level, nor even in most counties (including Broome when they said it was).

My personal experience is from the 70s in Albany, Saratoga and Warren counties, and in those places, at that time, maker, caliber barrel length and serial number were listed on the permit, or the amendment paperwork if you ran out of space on the permit.

And also back then in those counties, one did NOT take possession of a pistol from a dealer until after you had the approved permit amendment. You gave the dealer some cash to hold the gun for you (or paid for it entirely if you wanted to) the dealer would hold it until you came in with the approved paperwork, then you could take possession, and also, if for any reason you didn't get the permit, they simply held on to the gun and refunded what you paid them.

That was half a century ago, and I'm sure somethings in some places have changed, since then.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
44AMP said:
And also back then in those counties, one did NOT take possession of a pistol from a dealer until after you had the approved permit amendment. You gave the dealer some cash to hold the gun for you (or paid for it entirely if you wanted to) the dealer would hold it until you came in with the approved paperwork, then you could take possession, and also, if for any reason you didn't get the permit, they simply held on to the gun and refunded what you paid them.

This is certainly the norm in most counties. The one county I knew that did the coupons was Cortland.
That general area demonstrates the hodgepodge of rules.

The county immediately to the south-west (Tompkins) would not issue concealed carry under any circumstances and they would tell you so when you turned in the application. Tompkins is home to Ithaca and Cornell University. The locals call Ithaca "The San Francisco of the East". The reader will have to decide if that's a compliment or not. ;)

The county directly south (Broome) would only issue CC based on demonstrated need (which is at least in line with the text of the law).

Cortland County though, they hand out CC permits like candy. If you weren't a felon, here you go!

The stupid thing is, the permits are good everywhere in the state (except NYC) so it's not like they were stopping anyone else from carrying a gun there. People from Cortland and Broome were/are carrying all over Tompkins County!

44AMP said:
maker, caliber barrel length and serial number were listed on the permit
When I got my Pro Hunter, they listed the caliber as "7mm". The barrel was 7mm-08.

I asked them if that meant they only wanted to know if I got another barrel that wasn't "7mm".... so like, I can get a 7mm Rem Mag and not have to list it?
No, of course not.
Well, what are you going to put on the permit? It already says "7mm"?
What if I get another 7mm-8 barrel? How would you even know the difference? The barrels aren't serialized.

I asked a lot of rhetorical questions.
I don't think they liked me much.:D