New York 8 round revolvers?

smee78

I was thinking ,

So what will happen with people with a nice 8 shot revolver in NY if 7 rounds is max? Will this apply to revolvers? Does not affect me but I was just thinking :confused: and hoping no one else gets this stupid.

bird_dog

I've wondered the same thing, and started a thread on it.

I'm in NY and was just about to buy a Ruger Single 10.

I won't be doing that until there's some clarity on whether or not this capacity ban affects revolvers. Right now, despite what some people are saying, the law is not very clear.

m&p45acp10+1

I think there is a loop hole so to speak as far as if you already own one it is legal. So far that I know it is still against the law for them to make one give up a gun that was legal at the time they bought it. Kinda like the pre ban guns that sold during the AWB from 1994 till 2004.

44 AMP

Staff
If you revolver has an 8rnd+ magazine, then you fall under the new law. If it doesn't (much more likely), then that law doesn't apply. I've looked at the text, and while it does mention fixed magazines, it is aimed at detetchable mags, and doesn't mention revolvers, as far as I can recall...

Dave T

Sounds to me like the smart thing to do would be move to a state that still pays some attention to the Constitution...but YMMV.

Dave

bird_dog

The revolver doesn't have a detachable magazine. It doesn't meet the definition of the law.

"Or other feeding device" is also in the definition. Still waiting for clarity on this when the law comes out, as are many others here.

Aikibiker

Someone on Arfcom contacted the NY State Police and they were told that firearms with a fixed magazine Shotguns, SKS rifles, etc. that held more then seven rounds possessed before the passage of the law could still be possessed, but could not be loaded with more then 7 rounds.

I would guess they will say the same about 8 shot revolvers.

bk42261

"feeding devices" over 7 round capacity

My son lives in NY and has an SKS.
He "thinks" that as long as his stripper clips only have 7 rounds at a time he'll be GTG, but I'm not sure how this crappy new "for the safety of our
children" law will affect these EVIL FEEDING DEVICES.
Just putting it out there.

Patrice

Hhmmm....The TX Attorney General has invited all freedom-loving New Yorkers to move to TX with their guns. I never thought I'd hear a Texan do anything other than attempt to discourage further yankee immigration into the state. Very strange times in which we're living.--Patrice

skidder

We get tons of Californians here in Montana. The problem is we're getting the ones who couldn't stand to wallow in their own mire (crime, taxes and whatnot). So the first thing they do is fight to have the laws changed to the ones they left??? They say it's for our own good, but when you ask them why they left? they simply reply, "to raise my kids in a better environment". :confused::confused::confused:

bird_dog

Apparently, to the NYGOV's office, a revolver cannot be an "assault weapon" according to their FAQs on the SAFE act.

I've seen that on the website, too. But it's still not clear about revolvers with a greater than 7 capacity.

Should hear a lot more info when the State Police hotline goes live today to answer questions.

bird_dog

!!!

Amazingly, I just got through to the NYS Police Hotline that just opened today, after multiple attempts.

I asked them about the legality of revolvers with a greater-than-7 capacity.

THEY DON'T KNOW. The officer on the phone asked someone else. They didn't know. She took my name and number and said "That is a great question, and we will call you back with an answer."

Wow. It's really bad that the State Police still don't know.

carguychris

Apparently, to the NYGOV's office, a revolver cannot be an "assault weapon" according to their FAQs on the SAFE act.
True, but that's not necessarily the end of the debate. The main issue is whether a revolver cylinder could be considered a "large capacity ammunition feeding device", which I'll call a LCAFD for brevity. :)

First, the wording of the law prohibiting the new commercial sale of LCAFD's does not explicitly exempt a device that is integral with the firearm. Second, the definition of a LCAFD includes a "drum... or similar device...", which IMHO could be construed to include a revolver cylinder, but it's really hard to tell; it's unclear at this point how the NY state authorities will interpret the law.

IANAL, but AFAIK an LCAFD is supposed to be registered just like an assault weapon would be.

This has been discussed at length in L&CR in this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512679
Just what we need, a bunch of New Yorkers moving to Texas and turning Texas into New York.
Come to any suburb on the north side of DFW; they're already here. ;)
Wow. It's really bad that the State Police still don't know.
They can't understand the statute either. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Glenn E. Meyer

Want to stay on topic. Who move where to escape tyranny is not a topic in this thread. And then you complain because people do that? How many times do we have responses to move?

Hush on that.

BTW, with a quick reading - you can have higher capacity mags in antique guns? Meaning 50 years or older. That's 1963. So Browning Hi-powers are legit if made before then? They seem evil to me. I'm confused.

SW Model 39 with 8 round mags came out before 1963.

Did I miss that you have to download and modify those mags.