New XD-M 9mm

SIMP

I've tried the XD-S models in the past but they've never really worked out for me. Always liked how well built Springfield's seemed and they've always appealed to me. I was "needing" a full sized 9mm so I purchased the XD-M 9mm and man, am I glad I did.

Shot a few boxes thru it this weekend and only had one issue that I was causing. The slide failed to lock back once and it was because of where my thumb was riding. I had to adjust my grip slightly and it ran fine. Being used to other triggers in my rotation, it took a few mags to get the feeling of the XD-M trigger. It seemed to have a rolling break and the reset was pretty long compared to my other pistols.

It ran great and I'm very excited to have it in the line-up. After it proves itself to me over some time, I can see this as a great nightstand gun with the 19-round mags!

Any other XD-M fans out there in the forum?

tahunua001

I am an XDM guy through and through. my first handgun was an XDM45, one of the first off the line. I've owned the XDM9 standard but I traded it to my brother in law for a hunting rifle, I was never quite as accurate with it as I was with other XDs/Ms, he shoots it just fine. my current concealed carry piece is an XDM45 compact and am seriously contemplating selling my alternate concealed carry piece to buy a XDM9 5.25 target model.

SIMP

Glad to hear some great feedback on it. The model I have is the all black 4.5" XDM9. I cannot wait to get some more trigger time with it.

Rmart30

Ive got both a 9 and 45 XDM ... thousand of rounds thru them with no problems.

The 9 with a tac light is my bedside companion.

odugrad

I have two XDms. One (the 3.8 compact 9mm) is one of my edcs. I've taken training classes with them and never had an issue. I highly recommend them to anyone.

ghbucky01

I have an XDM 5.25 in 9mm due at my FFL today :D

This is my first poly gun...

Should I break it down and clean it up first, like I would on a new all steel gun, or should I just get it straight to the range?

Any break-in tips?

odugrad

I would strip it and clean it. It gets you more familiar with the gun and should clean off any gunk if there is any. After that, you should be good-to-go. Have fun at the range!

SIMP

Yup, I always break down any new guns and give them a good cleaning prior to first use.

Oruglock

Certainly no harm stripping it and getting to know the insides. It'll fire just as well without IMHO, but you'll want to clean it regularly anyway so why not start with a clean?

I have an XDm 3.8 compact in .40 S&W. I bought it to fill several roles: a .40 option in my armory, a compact, and a Springfield. The magazine extensions make it as good as a fullsize when needed, but I have the option of keeping the small 11-round magazine for concealed carry. I put a Pierce magazine base extension on the 11 round magazine so I can get a full three finger grip. The big magazines hold 16 rounds, just one short of my Glock 17 and M&P9 but in a larger caliber.

The only common complaint I read about the Springfield is that it's ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and anyway I don't want to shmooze the gun, it's a tool to do a job.

I like the chunky looks, and several features of the design make it stand out: proper forward slide grips, the best full chamber indicator I've yet seen, cocked indicator, grip & trigger safety, easy take down lever.

I have three full size magazines plus the compact one. It came with a holster and 2-magazine holder, so it's really a complete package in one box, albeit a box the size of a briefcase. I bought a smaller case to store the gun & magazines so it'll fit in my gun safe.

ghbucky01

SIMP...

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread.

I'll clean the gun first, as a few have mentioned. Thanks for the advice :)

Back on topic, I did a lot (a LOT) of research between S&W, Glock and Springfield before I decided the XDM was the way to go, and I am really excited to get my hands on it.

marine6680

Back on topic, I did a lot (a LOT) of research between S&W, Glock and Springfield before I decided the XDM was the way to go,

While the XD was not my first gun... It was a first poly... And one I really enjoyed.

I never cared for the way a Glock feels... (The gen 4 fixes this a good bit)

The XD line is a great first pistol in a "duty" caliber. Or a fine first poly...

In the end I decided I needed one of each of the big three. Should be fun to compare them all together. They are all proven and liked... But different enough to really allow some good internet "discussions" spark up.

Microgunner

I'm also a fan. I purchased an XDm-9 when they were first released.
I installed a Powder River Precision competition trigger, titanium striker parts and new spring kit in my pistol and now the trigger has to tried to be believed. Light and quick.

SIMP

RCPractitioner said:
Here I am carrying my 3.8 compact in .45

I like that setup. While I don't carry the XD-M, that's how I carry my concealed pieces. OWB with a nice leather holster and an untucked short of some kind. Never could do IWB.

dakiwi13

I had one, loved it a lot, nothing wrong with it at all. Might even go back to it if the price is right. But i stepped up to a sig 229 and haven't looked back

ghbucky01

In the end I decided I needed one of each of the big three. Should be fun to compare them all together. They are all proven and liked... But different enough to really allow some good internet "discussions" spark up.

When it comes down to comparing them and choosing one of the three, I really had to get down to picking nits to decide on the Springfield.

They are all great guns, and I don't see anyone being disappointed with any of them.

There sure are a ton of options in great handguns available to us.

Viper99

Have the XDm 3.8 Compact 9mm. Great gun but impractical these days of the 10 round mags in the Ct area. Its my dedicated home protection because of the 19 round capacity.

IdahoG36

I am of the opinion that the XDm is one of the finest polymer pistols for the money- period. They are reliable, accurate, very ergonomic, and have a large magazine capacity.

I currently own 2 XDm pistols, a 3.8 9mm, and a 4.5 .45. Both have been 100% reliable.

I added a set of Meprolight night sights to both, Talon grips, a Crimson Trace Laserguard green laser to the 9mm, and a Streamlight TLR-1s to the .45. The 9mm is my nightstand gun, and my fiance uses the .45 as her nightstand gun. I keep 19 rounds of Federal BPLE 115gr +p+ jhp in the 9mm, and 13 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 230gr jhp in the .45.

The .45 was my first purchase because I had been wanting one for quite awhile. I found the 3.8 9mm at Cabela's of all places. Got the gun in like new condition, the CT green laser Laserguard ($300 by itself), and eight 19 round magazines for $675!

Both are well balanced, but I like the 3.8 9mm the best out of the XDm lineup. The slightly shorter slide combined with a full size grip is excellent. It feels perfectly balanced to me.

Here is an earlier pic, before adding night sights and a Talon grip to the 9mm. I also traded the XDs off.
DSCN1029_zpse443428f.jpg