New Wildcat

10-96

I picked up a copy of 13th Edition of Cartridges Of The World, and I stumbled across a wildcat called .22 PDK. It's a 6.8 Rem SPC necked down to .224. The book suggests worthwhile velocities above the .223 Remington. And, I just happen to have a Bushmaster Varminter with a 1:9 twist bbl that I don't particularly like. It's only got 100-150rnds through it.

The designers of the ctg say it has an affinity for 1:9 twists- no info on bbl lengths they used. Supposedly, dies are readily available from somewhere up in one of the Dakotas. No ideas about a reamer.

Is there any reason not to latch onto a reamer, dies, 6.8 faced bolt and convert that rifle over to the new ctg? Is there any reason not to use a new bolt on an old bbl with only 150 rnds max through it?

Anybody see any reason I ought to talk myself out of this?

green_MTman

wasnt the 6.8 ppc formed from a .222 rem. case.would not that be like necking a .270 up to 30 and calling it the .30-270

FrankenMauser

So, it's .220 Russian / .22 PPC with a slightly smaller case head.....

Reminds me of an article I read earlier in the year, where the author was expounding on the amazing new wildcat he was working with: .224-204 Ruger.
Oh. So, .222 Remington Mag (parent cartridge of .204) with a gnat's breath more case capacity....

10-96

Numbers just under the .22-250 had me all excited there for a minute. But the case body is too short, and it still looks like a fella would have to get a new bbl anyhow. Thanks anyhow.