New Walther PPK/S .22 - made in GERMANY!

carguychris

Howdy y'all,

I was reading the thread about the new PPQ M2 and noticed this little jewel on Walther's new American-market website:

http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/ppks-22/

I believe this the first time in about 25 years that Walther has sold an actual German-made PP-series variant in the USA. :)

I'm curious whether this pistol will come from Walther's home plant in Ulm or from the Umarex plant in Köln (Cologne); other than the high-end target pistols, recent rimfire Walthers have been made by Umarex, but those guns usually incorporated a good deal of plastic, and it appears that this pistol does not.

Thoughts?

gilfo

I would get one in a heartbeat. Always wanted on in 22lr but the prices were to high. The MSRP on this one means the street price should be affordable.

Auto426

The weight listed is the same 1.5 lbs as the stainless .380 PPK/S, but I just can't help but think Umarex when looking at this one. Seems to me that if they were to add a "real" .22 PPK to the line up, it would be made by S&W along with the .380 and .32 version. Something about this little gun just screams Umarex to me.

PSP

recent rimfire Walthers have been made by Umarex

Not all rimfires have been made by Umarex. Walther is producing several rimfires, for example the HK licensed 416 and MP5 clones. These are made by Walther, but imported and distributed by Umarex.

The PPK/S .22lr is a nice pistol. I'd buy another. Umarex or not, I'd buy one.;)

carguychris

Trigger pull SA- 6.6 lbs, DA- 17.5 lbs. Seems a bit heavy.
The triggers of PP-series pistols are typically heavy. If it's going to be marketed as a legitimate trainer, the pull SHOULD be heavy. Walther apparently Gets It. :)
Not all rimfires have been made by Umarex. Walther is producing several rimfires, for example the HK licensed 416 and MP5 clones.
My bad, I should have specifically referred to the P22 and SP22.
The weight listed is the same 1.5 lbs as the stainless .380 PPK/S, but I just can't help but think Umarex when looking at this one.
Same here, given the suggested retail price. I doubt that a modern gunmaker in a Western country (read: "Not Turkey, Russia, or China") could produce a 100% faithful .22LR PP, PPK, or PPK/S and make a decent profit on it at the MSRP listed on the new website. I think corners are being cut; the question is which ones. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Seven High

I would definitely be interested in buying a PPKS in 22lr. Hopefully, they will re introduce the TPH in 22lr as a reliable product.

stormin1155

I've thought for a long time that there would be a big market for a good quality, sub-compact .22 pistol. The PPK/.22 looks like it fits the bill.

dajowi

If you're looking for Walthers, Simpson Ltd. has 125 Walther and Manurhin PP's, PPK and PPK/S in .22, .32 and .380 auto for sale on their website.:D

carguychris

Hopefully, they will re introduce the TPH in 22lr as a reliable product.
A German-built TPH cannot be imported to the USA unless Walther somehow manages to graft an adjustable rear sight and "target" grips onto it.

Post-1968 TPHs were built in the USA under the Interarms banner. When that company folded, the .32/.380 PP-series manufacturing licenses were sold to S&W, but I'm unsure whether the TPH license went with them.

At any rate, TPH production is likely to resume only when a US-based company picks it up, most likely S&W.
A photo in the manual shows a Cologne (Umarex) proof mark rather than an Ulm proof mark.
Good catch! :) Must be built by Umarex then.

Interestingly, most of the other pictures in the manual don't reveal any glaring differences from an older PP-series pistol. I have a hunch that the manufacturing costs may have been lowered by the extensive use of MIM, castings, and stampings in place of forgings.

gc70

Look at the third picture on the main page of the website. The muzzle appears to show an inner liner/barrel and an outer sleeve cap - just like the P22.

Venom1956

A photo in the manual shows a Cologne (Umarex) proof mark rather than an Ulm proof mark.

First thing I looked for. Bummer. I'm guessing this will have more in common with the P22 their 1911 then the old PPK/S chambered in .22

Curious to see the quality of the materials its made of.