New vs Old HK P7M8?

Big Dave

Hi,

I have a HK P7M8 that I bought new about 6 years ago. I love the gun and I'm considering purchasing another.

Is there any difference in quality between the older ones like mine and the newest ones being produced? I saw a photo of a new one and it had something stamped on the slide that I think referred to Alabama. Are the P7's still made 100% in Germany?

I have been out of the gun hobby for a while and not sure about shipping laws. I'm going on a trip to Louisiana in a month. I'd like to ship the P7M8 to my mom's house so I can shoot it while on vacation. Can I mail it to myself? Or does it have to be mailed to a FFL?

Thanks a lot,
Dave

MoW

Go ahead and make the purchase. Some people swear by the older ones but I have/had both and experienced no problem with either. Of course the newer ones have less trial runs so it's hard to call. Is there a reason you are looking to buy a "new" P7M8 vs and "older" one in near mint condition or even very good used? Just curious.

Big Dave

Thanks for the replies

I would get a new one because they don't seem to be that much more compared to the used ones. I have not followed the used market but my guess is that a near mint used one would be $1100 give or take. The new ones look like they are going for around $1350. Let me know if I'm off.

Otherwise, I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks for brand spanking new gun that's going to hold it's value.

Take care.
Dave

MoW

My advice before you buy is to checkout this forum http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Should be able to help with alot of your questions. New or old, they will retain their value--but I will say a NIB older model will sell for more then a NIB new model. If you really have concern as to whether the older models are better or more reliable, then you would be better off buying a NIB older model or LNIB older model.