New Vortex scope

TrueBlue711

So I'm just now reading about the Vortex Venom 5-25x56 scope. Sounds like it's pretty new. Has a lot of positive specs to it that would be good for long range shooting and I'm looking for a cost effective long range scope for either my 6.5 Creedmoore, 6.5 Grendel (both long range builds with 24" barrels) or even my 300 Win Mag. Has anybody jumped on this scope yet? Price almost sounds too good to be true. Comparing it to their Strike Eagle 5-25x56 scope, it seems to be the same thing minus three things: locking windage turrets, illuminated reticle and has 25 MOA less of max adjustments (Venom = 85 MOA, Strike Eagle = 110 MOA). Oh and the Venom is 5 oz heavier for some reason.

Last edited:
A few months back, I asked questions regarding a good scope for my KRG1500 that's being punched out from a 6.5Creedmoor to a 6.5-284Norma. I was about a half a heartbeat away from buying the Leupold model similar to the Strike Eagle you mentioned. What's stopping me is although the MSRP is $800, my LGS can get the Strike Eagle for $700 OTD. He can get the Leupold for $820. I believe the Venom can be had for $600.

So, I would ask yourself if having an illuminated reticle and positive stops on the turret is worth the extra $100 as a start.

TrueBlue711

The Venom is currently going for $500 on Amazon, even cheaper at other locations that do the 40% off MSRP for MIL/LE. Illumination isn't a huge deal in this case for me since the rifles I plan on putting it on are long range bench/prone shooters during daylight hours only.

I'm just curious if anybody looked through the glass on either of these and can see fairly well at 750+ yards, if they shot them on large calibers such as 300 win mag with no issues. I have other Vortex optics and love them, but the price on this new one has me hopeful yet concerned.

Shadow9mm

after my experiences with a crossfire 2 and a diamondback I wont touch another vortex. I have heard their top tier stuff is good but I don't have that kind of money. I did get a primary arms scope FFP 4-14x44, excellent quality glass imho.

Sevens

Doubtful that I can help… but I just bought one of these for my prairie dog rig and I’m on cloud nine. I’ve never owned a decent scope before and this new Venom is worth every penny. (I paid $500+tax, Scheel’s is fantastic place)

Had it zeroed in four shots. I’m 95% a handgun guy so I haven’t the experience nor skills that you guys have, but I was smacking every plate we hung from 100-500 and jumping randomly at targets. 20oz water bottle at 500 and golf ball at 300 were done like dinner.

Before the first trip with this new glass, I had literally -NEVER- made turret adjustments before a shot, but I’m a quick learner. And first focal plane is just as awesome as I had hoped it would be.

This went on my Howa .223 with 22” heavy barrel, running 50gr V-Max at 3,465fps at muzzle. Talley steel rings on a Nightforce 20 MOA base. So my review is glowing, but keep in mind that my experience with quality glass is nil. (until now)

Sevens said:
Scheel’s is fantastic place

As a side note, we're FINALLY getting a Sheel's. When I lived in Iowa, it was my favorite big box gun store to frequent.

TrueBlue,

I used my Honey coupon hunter and found a coupon code to bring it down to $434.13. Let me know if you want the code.

TrueBlue711

I appreciate the range report Sevens

TrueBlue,

I used my Honey coupon hunter and found a coupon code to bring it down to $434.13. Let me know if you want the code.

If you don't plan on using it, I will definitely take you up on that offer. Thank you. I'm sold on getting it, but pulled the trigger too late on using ExpertVoice (40% of MSRP for MIL/LE, putting it at $420) as it sold out shortly after I made this post.

rickyrick

I had no idea vortex made higher priced scopes.

I have one of their budget scopes, and always thought they were just a budget scope company

Sevens

I don’t think most anyone will argue that the quality of their glass is equal to the big and very expensive players in rifle optics, but they are building on an extremely good reputation for service and warranty for those that have needed it.

My shooting bro and hunting partner has been running three different Vortex models including one that cost him about a grand and hasn’t had a bit of trouble yet.

std7mag

Several things...

First, define "long range".
For many long range is 800+ yards.

Second, what type of shooting?
Hunting rifle that you want to occasionally hit steel targets at distance?
F-Class matches?
PRS?

I haven't looked at the Venom yet. The Razor and Golden Eagle have very good reputations in match shooting.
But even the Golden Eagle seems to flare out easier than other makes. Like Nightforce or Sightron.

If you get one, make sure you get the sun screen for it!

kilotanker22

I have not used one, but I own several Vortex scopes and have had the opportunity to handle and look through the Venom.

The glass in the Venom is no where near as clear as the Strike Eagle 5-25, or the Viper Line of scopes. The glass is comparable to the Crossfire 2 line. Which still is not too bad. However, for the money I think you would be better served by spending more, or looking at a different manufacturer. The Arken Optics SH4 Gen 2 is far and away a better optic at around the same money as the Venom. You can also get a Vortex Viper HST 4-16 on Midway right now for $500 and get a $75 Midway gift certificate.

I am sure the Venom would serve you fine, but for the same money their are much better options.

TrueBlue711

First, define "long range".
For many long range is 800+ yards.

Yes, 800+ yards. The last gun range I was a regular at had steel targets at 750 yards and that started to get easy.

Second, what type of shooting?
Hunting rifle that you want to occasionally hit steel targets at distance?
F-Class matches?
PRS?

Honestly, just for fun shooting from bench or prone at long range steel targets. No matches (yet). I had a lot of fun hammering the 750 yard steel target and want to push it further. I have 3x rifles purpose built for 750+ yard shooting. Just catching up on the glass now.

TrueBlue, did yours come in, yet?

My Strike Eagle just came today. I'm REALLY impressed with the glass and the FFP setup. Impressed for the price, mind you. I'm sure a $2,500 Leupold is the better scope. But, it's $2,500. I believe this is going to be a great mid-range scope. Hope your Venom will serve you well.

std7mag said:
If you get one, make sure you get the sun screen for it!

Mine came with one. Really nice accessory.

Sevens

It also comes with the attachable ring to quick-assist you with the zoom, it’s extremely handy. The retail price of this accessory is such that I couldn’t justify it as a purchase, but it’s a nice addition when included with the package.

Sevens

Oops, I forgot to mention a gripe, since you brought up the included sun shade.

On the Venom 6-25x, the bikini-style scope cover does not work with the sun shade installed and you end up with a verrrrrry long tube that isn’t easy to find a cover or covers for unless you like the flip-up caps, which I loathe.

wachtelhund1

Years ago I had a 8x32 56mm Vortex scope for shooting F class matches. It was sold as a long range scope, no Venom or other name. It sold for about $1000 to $1100. I found it to be an excellent scope. Later I replaced it with a Vortex 8X32 60mm long range scope. Also an excellent scope. I also have 4 other Vortex Diamondback HP hunting scopes. Excellent scopes. Back when I purchased these the HP models had the same lens as the Viper models but in a 1" tube.

Correction those long range scopes were SIII's

Last edited: