New vibrating case cleaner. Comments please?

reinert

Newbie here with a question,

I just tried out my new vibrating case cleaner (RCBS). Filled it half full of corn cob media (about 2lbs.) and added 2 ounces of light green, syrupy "flitz". Vibrated 50, 45/70 cases for about 2 hrs. and they came out really nice. Wiped, inside and out with paper towels, all the cases and also the primer pockets. Is that all I need to do to them? Will the "flitz" leave any kind of a film that might affect the powder's performance if the cases (loaded rounds) are left loaded for an extended period of time? I also made sure the flash holes were clear. I would appreciate any comments to let me know if I missed something.

Thanks a bunch,

Reinert

P.S. I enjoy the site very much. Great info, pics and comments.

Dingoboyx

I just use wallnut media

No added BS :D

What is flitz? Animal, vegetable, mineral?

I have heard of folks putting in a little car polish ;)

Mark whiz

I assumed you used the Flitz tumbler media polish??
If so you are good to go - there really is no need to even wipe down the cases like you did unless they come out really dusty.............. and if that happens just throw in a few pieces of a used dryer sheet with the brass and that will kill 90% of the dust with each load.

reinert

M. Whiz,

Yep, used the flitz tumbler additive. Sure works nice with the corn cob media. Thanks for the reply and the "good to go" affirm. Dingoboy, try the flitz stuff in your case cleaner if you've a mind to (1oz flitz to 1lb. media). I got a bottle from Cabela's (3.4oz.). I would imagine it should be available from most any shooting/reloading supplier.

Thanks again,

Reinert

reinert

Dingoboy,

Can't say for certain if it's animal, veg or mineral. Kind of looks like mint green brasso. Says "ammonia free" on the bottle, and also says it's an ECO-SAFE GREEN product. I guess you can spill a bit and won't get into too much trouble... sure cleans a brass case up real nice.

Reinert

D. Manley

The Flitz tumbler polish is just fine although IMO, it is seriously over-priced. I've used it and frankly, competitive brands for a fraction of the cost do just as well...even including, NuFinish auto polish.

Dingoboyx

Reinert

Does it taste better on the rocks or with coke?;) I will have to take your word for that, coz I am in Oz, and we dont get Flitz here :eek:

reinert

D.Man,

When the time comes when I'm outta flitz, I'll more than likely take your advice and do some shoppin'. Yeah, the flitz is kinda spendy for sure, but it does work quite well.

And Dingo, sounds like you're "...certainly not in Kansas...". But I'll bet you could get (or maybe already have) a Cabela's catalog. Lots to drool over in that one. I can think of better things on the rocks or with Coke than "flitz". That stuff looks like something you'd much rather try (?!) dumped over some vanilla ice cream. Don't think so though...

Thanks for the comments guys, great site!

reinert

Is that all I need to do to them? Will the "flitz" leave any kind of a film that might affect the powder's performance if the cases (loaded rounds) are left loaded for an extended period of time? I also made sure the flash holes were clear. I would appreciate any comments to let me know if I missed something.

That's all you need to do. It won't adversely affect the powder's performance at all. It will actually help in the reloading process when sizing cases. Unless you're loading for benchrest, I'd recommend leaving in the spent primers when tumbling. That way, you don't get media crammed in the primer pockets.