New Varmint/Benchrest Build

kilotanker22

Contemplating a new Varmint rifle to also shoot 100 and 300 yard Benchrest league at my local range. I am thinking 6.5 Grendel or 6mm ARC. The trouble I am having is deciding what action to build it on. I have considered buying a Savage 110 tactical with the appropriate bolt face and then using the action for the build. Will likely put it into a GRS stock, or something similar made from laminated wood.

What are the favorite receivers these days that offer the bolt face for 6mm ARC and 6.5 Grendel? Something that uses a Remington 700 or Savage 110 foot print would be ideal.
I am not super concerned with price although I wouldn't buy the most expensive item without a rational reason for doing so.

Scorch

Or you can buy a PTG action. 700 clone but trued from the factory. Cheaper than the Bighorn or Zermatt actions, way cheaper than a BAT or a Panda.

BornFighting88

If you are having a gunsmith put the barrel on for you, I’d just as soon suggest you get a used but in good condition 700 with the action length you desire. Have him rip off old barrel and seat your new one. Plenty of saps that sell their 700’s when they see the light and go to CRF. :p

Only half joking though. See if your LGS has a used 700 or clone in stock. Go that route.

kilotanker22

I will be doing the work myself. I have no quarrel with a prefit barrel and nut. All the used 700's around my neck of the woods have long since been picked up for cheap.

Nathan

Scorch said:
Or you can buy a PTG action. 700 clone but trued from the factory. Cheaper than the Bighorn or Zermatt actions, way cheaper than a BAT or a Panda.

Have you used one? Any issues?

std7mag

If you decide to go with a Savage action, i have a new 26" heavy varmint Shilen barrel in 250 Savage i'll sell ya at a decent price.

I was going to use it for a bench rest build, but just don't have the time (or primers) to put towards shooting matches.

Scorch

Have you used one? Any issues?
No issues, they are a 700 clone minus the Remington exrtactor (Sako or M16-type can be specified), 2-piece bolt vs Remington's 3-piece bolt. Anything for a Remington 700 will fit it. Fully tricked out they're about a grand, cheap compared to a Defiance or a Surgeon or a Zermatt.

Nathan

Scorch said:
No issues, they are a 700 clone minus the Remington exrtactor (Sako or M16-type can be specified), 2-piece bolt vs Remington's 3-piece bolt. Anything for a Remington 700 will fit it. Fully tricked out they're about a grand, cheap compared to a Defiance or a Surgeon or a Zermatt.

Sounds l8ke a good option, but I would remind folks that you get a lot of action for $825 or $925 in a Zermatt Origin!

kilotanker22

After eight months of waiting, Outlier has finally invoiced me for a chassis I ordered last year. SO, it looks like this will be built on a Savage 110 action.

Nathan

You might look at Brux too. They usually have shorter lead time and $20 cheaper.

Also, Red Hawk often has Bartlein in stock. Bugholes also may have something in stock.