New Vaquero, question about possible future value

eldermike

I picked up a Vaquero 4 5/8 inch 357mag over the weekend. It was new in the box from about 1997-99, I think. It’s one of the engraved ones with the simulated gold fill on the cylinders. My question is: Shoot it, or keep it new unfired condition? My personal opinion is it’s not going to be a collector type gun since it’s “simulated” embellishments are not hand done or even real. And they are good shooters.

L_Killkenny

I'm all for keeping "already old" guns, say those made in the 70's or older, unfired but personally have little time for "collector guns". Personally I'd look at the potential difference in the values down the road. NIB will be worth more but I doubt it will be much more it's not even worth the thought IMO. After all, in the grand scheme of thing what's the difference of a couple hundred or even $1000 30 years in the future. I may not use it for a field gun but for range day and barbecues, I'm shooting it.

newfrontier45

These guns command a slight premium over standard models, just as they did when new but they're not exactly highly sought after collectibles. Sure, you might make a couple hundred dollars in 20yrs but is it really worth it? Will it even keep up with inflation? Shoot it if you want to shoot it but I would not stash it away thinking it will double in value in ten years.

That would be a large frame Vaquero, not a mid-frame New Vaquero.

eldermike

Thanks for the information. Yes it's a large frame with steel grip frame. I believe the flame finish is ink and not real and may not hold up to solvents well. However, I have less in it than a new one and if it gets ugly I'll blue it and keep shooting it.

Jim March

I think I may have lost some value in mine unless I can find somebody as seriously warped as I am and wants one with magazine feeding and gas-powered auto-ejection of empties :).