new-used 30-30

roscoe

I have decided to get a 30-30 lever action rifle, but I am pretty much limited financially to a used one in the $250 range. Can anyone tell me what to look for in a used lever gun? I suspect that I may see both Marlin and Winchester at the local gun store.

Thanks!

Kaylee

neat!

personally, I'd look for an older one anyway -- the newer crossbolt safeties are just an affront to one's digninty. :)

Other'n'that.... the only thing I'd say to look for (besides the obvious, like rust all over or a cruddy barrel) is to pull back the hammer and puch a little on the rear of the bolt. It should lock up tight. My Marlin 336 (purchased secondhand) had apparently been shot loose by the former user, which opened up the headspace and accuracy went totally to heck.

Fix was pretty cheap though.... around $30 I think. Problem went away, and now the only accuracy problem is me. :p

-K

CZ Gunner

Around here, you can pick up a new Winchester or Marlin for around that figure. Saw NIB Winchester last night at Wal-Mart for $269. Have seen them at K-Mart down here for same price ... and, of course, have full warranty, etc.

DeBee

March yourself over to your favorite gun auction site or gunsamerica.com and look for a decent used Pre 64 Winchester 30-30- that should be right in your price range.

Newly manufactured guns suck. I haven't been impressed with the quality of any of them... Any maker any style...

gitarmac

I got an old winchester 94 (still top eject) with a 2x scope on it that I really love. My friend has a new marlon that is very nice. The differance is my little win is much lighter and my scope is mounted on the side, as opposed to her marlins top mounted scope with see thru rings, my scope is much closer to the bore and because I am right handed I don't need those rings to see through my iron sights, which is hardly an issue with my "old eyes". If I were to purchase a brand new 30/30 I probably would go with the marlin, hers is much "tighter". That being said, I am glad I found this old one, it's my jacks of all trade gun. The accuracy is better than I thought it would be, that old 2x scope and all. I can shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards on a good day. A better scope would help but I have a .308 for long shots.

Everyone should have at least one bolt action 30/30 in their collection.

foghornl

I have a Marlin model 30A that i bought about 10-11 years ago, oldest brother has a Winchester of same vintage. Both are reasonably accurate, but the Marlin "fits" me a little better. So, If you can go handle both, pick the one that 'feels right'.

Good luck, and good shooting

eyeballz

I paid $150 for my old Winchester. Visit your local pawnshops.
and like CZgunner said Walmart sells them at unbelievable price

genefromjersey

Has anyone had any experience with the Savage bolt action 30/30 ?
I saw one quite a few years ago : 2 or 3 shot box magazine, relatively short barrel. I cleaned it for the owner- a relative-now deceased - of my wife's family.
I've often thought it would make a handy urban/camper rifle: handloaded with "target" -level loads under a round or f/p lead bullet. :confused:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
genefromjersey, those old Savages oughta be among the better deals around. They're not thought of all that highly, so the price oughta be below the more popular stuff.

If you handload, you can run the pressure up to bolt-action limits, rather than down at lever-action limits. And, of course, light loads and plinkers are always fun.

:), Art

roscoe

Thanks for the help. I did find a Winchester 94 used but in great shape at a local gun dealer. There is no safety, which is apparently a good thing. I haven't fired it yet, but I'll take it to the range an a week or so. Thanks again all for the advice.

MikeTx

I bought my like new 3030 3 years ago, for 200 dollars. It looked new, and shoots well. It turns out to be about 16 years old. It was cared for, and as far as finding wear or anything on it, I couldn't. Heck of a deal.

The only thing I don't like is it is hard to put the rounds in the mag. You always see the rifleman just putting them in real easy, but his aren't as long as a 3030 right?