New Tumbler Question???

PoorRichRichard

My father-in-law (his name is Art) just gave me an old Berry's tumbler for cleaning my brass, and I have a few questions about it. It seems pretty solid, and I hope it's worth using. Please view the attached pictures and my questions below.

tumbler3.jpg

tumbler2.jpg

tumbler1.jpg

Art told me I would need to add about a cup of water to the rock media when cleaning each batch of brass. I'm not sure why I'm supposed to add the water and I'm curious as to why I should.

Questions:
-Am I just better off throwing away the rocks and using Lyman media in order to clean my brass?

-Will the Lyman media work with this particular tumbler?

-If I keep the rocks for cleaning, how many cases can I clean per batch? I will be cleaning 9mm and .45 ACP cases.

-Do these rocks wear out over time?

-If I am able to use the Lyman media for cleaning, how many cases can I clean per batch? Again for cleaning 9mm and .45 ACP cases.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated as I have over 1000 cases of 9mm and .45 ACP ready to clean.

TXGunNut

-Am I just better off throwing away the rocks and using Lyman media in order to clean my brass? -PRR

Never seen them before. Worth a try, I guess. Can always toss them and use walnut or corncob.

-If I keep the rocks for cleaning, how many cases can I clean per batch? I will be cleaning 9mm and .45 ACP cases. -PRR

Rule of thumb for any vibratory cleaner, any media, is to add cases slowly with cleaner running until action starts to slow down.

Shootest

I have used the rocks in a tumbler at work to deburr parts, it may be tough on brass, but I would try it and see. Check often for excessive brass wear. The water lubricates the rocks to tumble better, will not work well without it. We add a little dish soap, helps keep parts clean. Rocks do wear out but it takes a long time, maybe never with brass.
Walnut or corncob will work in anything that vibrates.

Berry's MfG

The 400 cleaner wasn't designed to be used with a wet media or polishing stones. Many people use it for that but the design was for use with corn cob or walnut media. With cob or walnut you will get much better action with the media and will clean much quicker.

Berry's MfG

No, we don't sell anything but the corn and walnut. We've tried using our 400 tumbler to de-bur small parts from the machine shop using ceramic balls and stones but gave up in the end.

Berry's MfG

I only use corn cob media and clean the brass every time I shoot so it really never gets tarnished. There are a lot of good polishes out there you can add to the corn cob, just stay away from any polish that contains ammonia. Ammonia is the key ingredient for many of the copper bore cleaners and it will damage your brass, basically it makes it brittle. I've not used any of the pre-treated media like the Lyman product, but I'm sure it works. Dillon, Cabela's, Midsouth and Berry's polish are all very much the same product and work very well.