New top end, help with sights please

redlightrich

Hello all, after a few months of experiments, I was able to fit this slide to my Kimber 45 without having to modify my frame.
I will now find sights and fit a barrel. My question now is, can anyone help identify the needed sights for this slide.
I bought this, being told it was Remington overstock ( it sure looks like the slide on their 1911 Stainless) I was also told that the rear cut was for a adjustable Novak. I measured the gap of the rear sight cut and it is approx .490, I can have a .010 error factor, as I did not use pins, and my calipers do not fit in the dovetail.

Any help identifying the proper sight would be appreciated.

Thank you

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_4439.JPG
    IMG_4439.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4437.JPG
    IMG_4437.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4438.JPG
    IMG_4438.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 32

redlightrich

Please note the first 2 pix are of the rear sight from different angles, the last pix is the front sight. The front appears to have some sort of pin to hold it after set in the dovetail.

Again, any help will be appreciated

Rich

T. O'Heir

Any 1911 sights should fit. You just need the height of the front sight and the dimensions of the dovetail. I'd bet the dovetail is the standard 1911 one though.
A .010 error factor is too big. Measure the bottom of the dovetail and the top then use arithmetic(that Pythagoras guy will help you.) to get the angle.

redlightrich

Thank you Tim, but I have looked at hundreds of sights, and they all have different angles, widths and so on.

This cut has a relief in front of the rear sight, which makes me think an adjustable is correct.

I realize .010 is a big error factor, but I hoped it would get me into the ball park.

I hope someone can help me identify this cut. I don't want to order a dozen different sights to return 11.

Thank you

Rich

Hunter Customs

Did you think to call Remington and ask?

The above would be the best thing to do.
The rear sight cut does appear to be a Novak cut, as for the front it's most likely for a Novak front sight also.
If I remember correctly Novak uses a .330x65 degree transverse cut for their front sights.

As for the depth of the front sight cut that can be measured from flats on top of the slide.
Keep in mind the depth of the sight base will vary even when the sights are from the same manufacture, for the best fit you will need to measure the depth of the base on the sight that you are using.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

redlightrich

Thank you all. I will either call Remington or even possibly Brownells. I have looked at Remington's site, and they appear to have an adjustable that will fit from the R1 Enhanced.
My only issue is the slide is going on a Kimber, and I prefer not to have a sight that is branded Remington ( the sight has an imprint)) where as the slide itself is devoid of any markings. One of the main reasons I bought this slide.

I will say, it has been quite a project fitting the slide to the frame without modifying the frame rails at all.

I measured all the 1911's available to me, and it appears that most run of the mill guns use approx .008 clearance between frame rails and slide rail. I was surprised to see such a large clearance. Even the "match" Colt ( Black with Blue grips, blue front sight and adjustable rear) had .0075. I would think that match or target models from the upper end builders run them a bit tighter.

Anyway, I do appreciate all the help you provide!!

Rich

Hunter Customs

Rich, slide to frame fit in a 1911 does not have as much bearing on the mechanical accuracy as most people think.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

redlightrich

Thank you Bob, I have been studying the 1911 lately and I am slowly seeing that many other factors can affect the accuracy. The loose slide ( unless it is excessive) seems to matter very little.

I still marvel at the design of this gun. Well over 100 years old and still a terrific design!

Thank you