New to this board/ .380 ACP Ammo Update

zombie237

Hello all, wanted to make my first post in a question I'm sure has been run into the ground lately, but, what is the ammo supply of 380 Auto like in your area? I'm in Texas and I can't find diddly squat at WalMart and our Sports Authority isn't any better. I recently purchased a Walther PK 380 and they sold me 2 boxes of CorBon Powerball with the purchase. 40 rounds, that's it, but I got the whole package for a hell of a deal (love that military discount). In the past 3 months I've started my arms race and am currently up to 4 (S&W Sigma .40, then Mossberg 500 JIC w/ breaching barrel tip, then Walther P22 and finally my lovely PK380).

And most importantly, I got my paperwork for concealed carry yesterday, filling the whole thing out today (as my class isn't till January 16th, but I'm a little excited) so I wanted to start stocking 380 Auto and am far outta luck lately. My 380 isn't a paper weight yet but I also don't expect to get into any firefight in the streets like on the movie Heat (I mean i do live in Texas and would assume many others would jump in anyways) but it doesn't hurt to have a few (hundred) rounds for your "babies".

Thanks for any and all's assistance on the state of 380 ammo, and I really enjoy this message board for it's info and opinions.:D

Last edited:

hoytinak

I'm up in the panhandle of Texas and the only boxes of .380 I've seen locally in the past 10 months or so has been at the gunshows and they're asking $60-75 for a box of Blazer. That's the reason I sold off my LCP. :rolleyes:

If you want .380 around here, you'll have to buy online.

zombie237

hoytinak, thanks for the panhandle update. which online sites do you recommend? I've looked and found either out of stock or item backordered. any place you prefer that's actually in stock? thanks for your help.

Russ5924

I would have to say almost non-existent. Did find some WWB at Wal-mart about six months ago about the only time have seen none since:eek:

spacecoast

Try the local ranges, they usually have some to shoot on their range. I've also seen it at Sports Authority ($25 a box for FMJ, which I think is very high). I now have reload capability for .380 and can usually find a little brass at the range.

bumnote

The last couple of gun shows I've been to wanted $25-30 per box, which was down from $50 or more earlier this year.
I live in Northern VA and normally shoot at the NRA range and a couple of weeks ago I managed to pick up 4 boxes of 50 at about $16 each. They haven't given into the price gouging that's gone on, so when they have it, it's been at a price I don't mind paying.

IRONPONY

I live in Houston & recently purchased a Bersa 380 semi auto pistol.
I have no problem getting my ammo from the gun range I visit.
Also on line, you might want to try Lucky Gunner, they have a good supply for 380 in both fmj & jhp rounds. [ 50 round boxes ]
Shot mine last night at the range, but I think I will use my other pistols for the range, the 380 rounds are expensive for just target shooting.
My .38 & 40 cal. are less exspensive for sure.

Hitech78

It's getting more available every day. I saw quite a few people selling it at the local show for around $20-$25. Give a few more months and it should be back to normal prices.

jlb27537

I used Cabela's. They have good prices, almost all are on Back order, but some show 1-2 weeks ship date. Order some and wait. Mine were $.35 a round, ordered a box of 300.

IRONPONY

Although new to pistols & ammo.
That is what I hear, more ammo is showing up.
What I did notice is when talking with the staff at the range & reading on forums , ammo supplies seemed to be coming back up some.

zombie237

Update

did my daily call around to gun shops in town, found a store with 4 boxes. they're holding two for me (as 2 per customer is the limit and i recently bought my PK380 there, so the guy remembered me). the downside? i can't my younger brother outta bed to drive and get the other two boxes, imma have to have a stern talking-to with that boy. Other store in town has CorBon DPX at $45/20 round box. I want rounds, but not that badly. hopefully i'll get my younger brother to the store before the other 2 boxes not on hold are sold.

p.s.-walmart/academy sports still bone dry (both received shipments today with no 380 on board)

troy_mclure

im in southern louisania, academy gets a crap load in every week. its gone in 3-4 days, but ive seen 30+ boxes of monarch on the shelf.

Silverado

I've had decent luck with www.ammunitiontogo.com

In my case, I don't need a bunch of .380, because I don't shoot my LCP for fun, just enough to be proficient at SD distance. Bought 3 boxes of FMJ and I box of JHP. ammunitiontogo has been a pretty good spot for .45ACP too.

zombie237

Well, I went and the store kept the 2 boxes as they'd promised, so add another 100 rounds onto my 380 stock. Unfortunately by the time I got my younger brother outta bed and among the living boxes 3 and 4 had been sold, so I picked up a box of .40S&W while I was there. I was gonna get .22lr, but they were $5 more a box than academy, I'll hit up academy on saturday after the holiday. Once I get to a computer I'll check out ammotogo, thanks for the tip.

Still always on the hunt though

LockedBreech

My dad gave me an LCP for Christmas and got my brother and mom LCRs from Impact Guns in Ogden, Utah and gave me 4 boxes of Buffalo Bore .380 JHPs with it. He said they were quite cheap in Ogden, cheaper than 9 and 45 at the time he bought. I think they have a site, but I am not sure if the site will have good deals. Let me check.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/380acp_ammunition.html

Looks like just reloading supplies or 250 for 100 out of stock. Sorry! Around here though (Wyoming and Utah), it is apparently plentiful and cheap.

Edit - I am not sure if the decent prices here are for plinking ammo or just premium defense stuff

Conan1

I've had 6 boxes on back order from SportsmansGuide for about 9 months now. In the meantime, a local gun shop recently opened and had 100 rd boxes of WWB for $47 per box. My friend and I bought 2 boxes apiece. The next day the price per box was $79. The manager told me they had miss priced it before as their cost was $60 per box. That's just too high for white box Winchester. Crap.

tex45acp

Ironpony,

I am headed to Houston on the 13th of January. Mind if I ask where in Houston you found yours. I gave the better half a Walther PK-380 for christmas and she loves it....moreover she wants to shoot it. I was able to find 150 rounds of ammo but she has already burned up 100 of those.

thanks
tex45acp