New to site, so far it's been awesome....

gustav129

I've always wanted to shoot competetively after I qualified Smallbore Expert in JROTC during high school. I was invited onto the Varsity Rifle Team through the JROTC, but I didn't have time with Swimming and Band.

Fast forward to today, 11 years later. I'm getting back into shooting, after focusing mostly with shotguns and bird hunting. So I came to this site for Competetive shooting, but found so much more.

I have a Win M70 7mmWSM that came with a scope, and I have a bone stock SKS. I do alot of plinking at 100yds with my gf's Savage .22 though. If I were to get into competetive shooting, I would have to stick with small bore for now.

There are a couple NRA-Affiliated gun clubs around. I joined the NRA last Christmas, and I just upgraded to Life member this month with the Easy Pay Life program.

I'm not sure as to which club to join though. I have two in mind right now, but I'm just finding them in the area.

Club A I've been shooting there for $10 a day when I feel like plinking
But the only benefits to me are:
-Inexpensive (NRA members get even a lower price)
-Shooting matches every month, (smallbore every 2nd Friday; High Powered Rifle ever 1st sat, a couple of them NRA Matches)
-I can shoot at the range anyday I want to for only $2 a day.
-25, 50, 100, 200 yd bays.

According to the range manager, the club meetings are worthless. The councel members are the only ones that can talk (ie-Bring subjects up, make suggestions) at the meetings, and they make all the decisions (ie-no voting).

Club B (I have'nt been there yet)
-NRA-Affiliated
-Expensive ($100 a year + $50 App fee = $150 for the first year, Lifetime member is $700 though, No NRA Discount)
-Seems more of a club (club community service to maintain ranges, helps out with local police dept and national guard functions)
-They have "Shoots" often, but I'm not sure if they are actual matches or not
-Closed to public about half the time

Last edited: