New to Revolvers-S&W 617

HKFan9

I am not to experienced with revolvers. I have shot a few, and own a S&W Model 60 5 shot J-frame in .38spl. I was considering buying a Ruger Single Six .22lr for a plinker since it was the first handgun I ever shot in my life. Then the S&W 617 caught my eye. It's pretty much the newer version of the Model 17 I believe? I was wondering what some of you paid for the 617 new or used, and if anyone has a model 17 what would they be selling for also.

22-rimfire

Prices on the Model 17 vary quite a bit. You ocasionally hear of someone buying a real clean one for $350. From my experience, a really nice Model 17 runs somewhere around $500 ($450-$550) in excellent condition. They are worth that price in today's world. Few finer revolvers. Some would say no finer 22 revolver, but I prefer Colts generally.

I'ver never priced a 617 (stainless) except new as I like the blue finish ones.

BigJimP

I bought a 617 6" ( 6 shot cyclinder) in June 06 for about $ 500 - and mine was used but very clean. I think you can still find them for around $600. Its a perfect gun for plinking - for kids, etc. / although most of my grandkids prefer the semi-autos.

I think if you find a clean model 17 or K22 masterpiece it'll cost you close to
$ 700 and maybe more. I like the older models - and I've kept the K22 I was given as a kid in the early 60's - it was used then - but its a heck of a gun as well.

ChicagoTex

I just bought my used (but clean) 6-shot 6" 617 for $485 about a month ago
SW617-1.jpg

The previous owner was apparently some sort of Igor or something because I spent most of my first range session with it resetting the sights for humans so I don't have any stunning group photos to show you just yet but from the bench I was able to get 2 or 3 rounds at a time forming one ragged hole at 25 yards. Mine has a very smooth, fairly light DA pull and an absolutely EPIC SA pull - there simply is no better, and that's exactly why I, a die-hard fan of automatics, had to have an S&W Revolver for my .22 target/plinking gun. It's gorgeous and very solid feeling to boot and believe me when I say recoil is positively non-existant on this beast.

I love it, I absolutely love it, and if you get one chances are you will too.

EDIT: Mine's a pre-lock aswell, even though my picture seems like the trademark "hide the lock" photo, it's mostly because the room I had on the table facilitated that shot.

j-a-r

I bought my pre-lock NIB 4" with the 6 shot cylinder for $500.00 last year. It's a beautiful gun and a tackdriver to boot. They usually go quick when put up for sale.

j-a-r

B.N.Real

Chicago tex,I hate you.

Now,I must buy a 617.

"Absolutely EPIC S/A PULL."

"2 or 3 rounds forming one ragged hole."

That's what I'm talking about.

lafd04

Paid 650 2 months ago brand new 6 inch 10 shot. Great buy and wouldn't hesitate to buy another or a 4 inch if one pops up.