New to revolvers, but got a Vaquero

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
New to revolcers, but got a Vaquero

Ok, 2 months ago I wandered into my local gunshop to see what was new. Dave, the owner, had a Vaquero in .44mag w/5.5in bbl. For whatever reasons, I immediately fell in love with this beautiful hunk of metal. (Just happens to compliment my Marlin 1894S in same caliber)

Because of my limited funds for guns this year, I have already overspent :D , I put it on layaway. Dave is a pretty nice guy, cause he lets me take it out for weekend target duty!

Like Correia, this is my first revolver. Don't know much about them other than they go BOOM!

As an inducement to buy the gun, yes I wavered ($390 seemed a little high for a used revolver), Dave threw in an RCBS die set and 500 rnds of brass. As I haven't started reloading for .44 yet, I thought all in all it was a good deal. (I've got a dillon 550B currently used for .300wm and 9mm)

Anyway, I must be holding the dang thing wrong! I've shot a couple of boxes of .44 special and don't have any problems. Aim is dead-on. With standard win 240gr mag loads, the thing really slams my hand! And the POI is higher than with the specials. I suspect this is was a cowboy action gun and has been targeted for use with the *&* cartridges. Another clue is that the trigger has been worked and has an approximate 2lb pull. But when shooting 44mags, dang! After about 2 loads, my hand is really beginning to feel rotten.

I bought this gun not just for cowboy action, but also for hunting/camp defense (my nines don't have that kind of power and I'm just a little jealous of the .357 my wife carries
:eek: ), so here's my questions:

1. Should the magnums slam that hard? How should I be holding the revolver? note that I seem to have better groups with a single hand than with a double hand.

2. I see a lot of reference to "bisley." could someone explain to me what this is? Is this just the style of the vaquero?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you guys might give me.

P

PreserveFreedom

44 Magnum does contain a good amount of recoil. Expect it to be hard after a good amount of shooting. Just hold it however is most comfortable but hold on tight!

My understanding of a Bisley is that it has a rounded butt.

Congrats on your purchase! A 44 Magnum Vaquero was my first Ruger revolver. I had to part with it and I miss it tons. I will get more though.

riverdog

Vaquero or Bisley-Vaquero? The Vaquero has a selection of aftermarket grips that may help. Same grips as the Blackhawk IIRC.

Regarding ammo, myou might want to consider either reloading some mild loads or you can get the Pro-Load Tactical Lite cartidge. 200 gr at 1050 fps. Sort of a hot .44 Special but it uses the mag case.

Kalvan

In my experience, the factory grips for Ruger SA's are just too small. Replacing the grips may make it a bit more easily controlled, but factory mag loads are going to have substantial recoil.

The Bisley has a different grip angle. Whereas on the normal gun the the bottom of the grip sorta flares back towards you as you point it, the Bisley is bent in toward the triggerguard and is about straight up and down.

C.R.Sam

Biggest factor probably the relationship between your personal hand and the grips. When you find sumpin that fits you, the perceived recoil will go down a bunch. A few folks actually get along better with the bare minimum of grip and others work best with big squishy grips........and every combination in between.

Your hands probably unlike any other human's hands.

Good luck in your search for the "golden grip".

Sam

riverdog

Does Hogue make a monogrip for the Bisley? Those grips seem to fit my hand like a glove regardless of the handgun.

Called Hogue: Answer is NO.

Last edited:

stellarpod

I sympathize completely. My 7-1/2" SS Vaquero treats me exactly the same with full load factory magnums. It's a treat with the Cowboy loads I usually shoot (Ultramax), but the true magnums really bite.

I believe, as others have stated, that it's the relationship between your hand and the western style grip that is the key. Also, the western design appears to position the grip significantly further below the centerline of the bore as compared to "modern" revolvers, thereby exaggerating the muzzle flip (at least in my experience). Interestingly enough, and contrary to at least one previously expressed opinion, I suspect that the grip is too big for my hand. Locate a Colt and wrap your hand around it. The grip is noticeably slimmer at the top and fits my hand much better. I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

Nonetheless, I really enjoy shooting this gun. I just don't pound many full-fledged magnum loads through it.

Correia

Congrats on the purchase. These round guns are pretty cool. :D

I don't have much experience with the .44, but I do know that there are a lot of power levels in the different loads. I have a buddy that loads a lot for his Anaconda, and he has some that are at .44 special velocities that make it a real soft shooter.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for the feedback folks.

After looking at a few ruger revolvers, I think I have the bisley-vaquero. And like I said, or perhaps implied, the .44 special loads are sweet.

So when I actually take possesion next month, I'll get to do some reloads. In the mean time, I'll shoot mostly the specials...and work up to those full mag loads.

I have some 300gr Buffalo Bore ammo for the Marlin, but I don't think I'll try those. Probably way overpressured for the handgun, and I'm not about to try it!

Hey! Just thought of this...now I have the gun I need to try some real long distance shooting! The furthest I've shot the vaquero so far has been 50 yds and I can keep all 6 in the black on a standard 25yd pistol target. That's something I have a lot of trouble doing with my nines. Couldn't be the barrel length....nah.

Kent White

Antipitas,

That's what I have for CAS also. I had the 5.5" barrel cut back to 4 5/8", slicked the action, and have shot the heck out of it. It is still accurate.

I like using the 200gr RNFP in mine, I load it to 44-40 spec or a bit hotter. 1100-1000 fps is good. If you want details holler at me, I don't remember the load (I have it written down at home, I'm at work now), but I'm using WW 231. Very clean load.

Kent

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Kent,

It took me a while to develop an accurate load for my .300wm. That said, I will look into your loads when I can claim the pistol (and the dies) from layaway.

But I still want to be comfortable shooting full mag loads. For hunting, of course.

Jim March

First, we've been collecting links and tips for modifications to these things in this thread:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80872

Second, the Bisley-type *grip* is supposed to be the best for major recoil control. It's what Linebaugh and the other crazies building five-shot .454Casull and even nastier recoiling monsters recommend, at power and recoil levels way past .44Mag territory.

Your gun may have a Bisley *hammer* without having a Bisley grip. All these parts are interchangable. Figure out which grip you've got...if it's the "standard plow-handle" type, the recoil effects you're dealing with aren't at all rare.

Question: is the grip itself hurting you, or are you getting whacked in the middle knuckle by the back of the triggerguard? If the latter, a grip that "fills in" most or all of that area between triggerguard and grip frame should help. There's been several such grips made for the standard plowhandle (same as on standard Blackhawk) grip frame. I haven't heard of that being an issue with the Bisley factory grip, which is part of what makes me suspect you may not have a Bisley grip frame.

On this page:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/rvnew.html

...the top picture is of a stainless "standard Vaquero". Note the high trigger and plowhandle grip. The second picture is of a "Bisley Vaquero", different grip and hammer.

Ronin 99

I been shooting a 629 with no problem but it weighs 49.5 oz. while the Vaquero weighs in at 40 oz. Wonder if the lighter weight has anything to do with it.
Ronin

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks everone for the replies.

I believe I have found my problem. Consider: This is the first revolver I have ever owned. My other handguns are all autos. I have the ingrained habit of not letting my wrist rock with the recoil, so as not to interfere with the recoil operated slide. This is completely the opposite with this wheel gun.

Once I began to let my hand rock with the recoil, perceived recoil lessoned a bunch! Enough that I even tried those 300gr hunting loads. Man! what a kick!! :D

The only bad thing is that I tore the webbing on my right hand before I found this little trick out. OUCH! :eek: Dang good thing I shoot with both hands :cool:

Zorro

Also try using a "Magnum Glove" at the range.

It will help you shoot more rounds at the range, but you wont need it for hunting.