New to Reloading by Myself

Blindstitch

Hi Everyone.

I most recently inherited some basic reloading equipment and caught the bug but I want to set up a more compact modern set for reloading smaller quantities.

Some backstory.
My grandfather on my moms side was a gunsmith and at a young age taught me how to reload with a press. I would stop by his place and if he was going to reload some shells he would set everything up for me so all I had to do was prime, charge and press the ammo and I was done. Not exactly all that simple but I have never bought equipment or explained which die sets to buy. I did this for about 10 years so I didn't need a set because I could use his. Since then I have had a 10 year break and need to get caught up.

Now my grandfather on my fathers side reloaded since the 60's. After he passed 9 years ago all his stuff was given to my other grandfather to give to me at a later date. While last weekend was a later date and I was given the kit. They are all vintage Lee Loaders and only one matches a gun I have.

I have never loaded with the Lee Loader but I have seen videos and it looks handy but I would like a press since I have to buy dies for the guns I have. Right now for starters just 2 rifles.

I have a 30-30 winchester 94 lever action and a 30-40 krag bolt action.
I am looking at these 2 die sets

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/251154/lee-pacesetter-3-die-set-30-30-winchester
and
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/128795/lee-pacesetter-3-die-set-30-40-krag

I noticed there are 2 die sets and 3 die sets is either better? I have the Speer and Lyman books and a lot of reading to do .

Any help is appreciated.

stu925

The lee 3 die sets come with the factory crimp die which may be something that interests you. I don't generally crimp my loads in a bolt gun but I do use the factory crimp die in my Mini-14. I like Lee dies for their value but if I could afford them RCBS would be my first choice. I've had great luck with RCBS equipment and their customer service is second to none. That being said and being on a budget lately I've been buying Lee dies when I need new ones and have had no issues.

Stu

m&p45acp10+1

Start first with a reloading guide book. Lyman 49th is a good one. Modern Reloading by Richard Lee is a good one, as are several others. The first chapters of the manuals are walk throughs in the basics for beginners. If you can get the ABC's of Reloading it is a great one for the exlanations. Though you will still need a manual for load recipies.

Now for dies set:

For the .30-30 Win the two die set is what you will need for loading since it is a lever action. You will have to full length size every case with each loading. Crimping will be needed to keep bullets from being pushed back into the case when loaded into the tubular magazine. For the .30-40 Krag neck sizing will extend the life of your brass. After a few loading you may need to full lenghth resize.

histed

The Pacesetter dies you are looing at are good dies, in my opinion. I've uses the 30-30 amd 7mm Rem Mag and never had a problem. One of the advantages is that this set includes the proper shell holder AND load data sheet to suplement your manuals. The third die, for rifles, is a crimp die used to put a factoy crimp in the brass. That hleps to keep bullets in a tube feed, like your 94, from moving during recoil. Can do a variety of other things too, most of which should be explained in your manuals. Check Amazon and Ebay for used presses - RCBS, Redding, Lee and Hornady are all good bets. You could check "smartreloader.com" as they have a fairly inexpensive press, but I can't vouch for teh quality. BTW, get a good powder scale, too. Those dippers that come with the Lee dies are OK, but not terribly accurate - maybe consistent is a better word.

m&p45acp10+1

Unless you have powder you are going to have a wait to reload there ia a shortage as of late. You would need primers as well. Finding either right now is like trying to pull chickens teeth.

Blindstitch

I have powder and primers. I don't mind waiting either since I have a good deal of reading to do.

Right now I'm starting chapter 3 of The ABC's of Reloading. Figured it was one of the better ones to start reading since it's only 292 pages vs. some of these books that have double or triple the pages.

m&p45acp10+1

I have not read the ABC's book. I read the first 90 pages of my Lyman Pistol & Revolver 3rd edition when I started, I read teh first of the Lyman 48th when a friend gave it to me. The ABS's book is so reccomended I am quite sure it is informative to say the leas. Happy reading, and safe reloading, and shooting.

Blindstitch

Wow....
Like any woman with a steamy romance novel I managed to read the whole ABC's of Reloading with exceptions of the pistol and shotgun info since I don't intend on reloading for them just yet.

This thing is full of stuff on all ends.

Things that stick out were civil war shooters mid battle double and triple loading their guns in the heat of the moment.

British soldiers in WWI injesting gun powder to go to the infirmary and get of the front lines.

Mud covered bullet proof moose.

and even shooting turkeys with rifles.

histed

It is a great book. I re-read parts of it pretty often as a refresher for something I haven't done in a while. Loads of case prep details.