New to me

eddiejoe333

I just got a Smith and Wesson model 28-2. Target grips and hammer, smooth trigger. Tiny bit of wear at the muzzle. The trigger pull is stiff and rough. I guess I need to shoot it to get the trigger sorted out!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385265966.291210.jpg

richardcorey

Eddiejoe - Years ago I had a Model 28 that I toted around for over 20 years as a house pistol, car pistol, and out-in-the-woods pistol, in other words my everything pistol. When I bought it new it was a little stiff, but over time and many many rounds of anything that would fit, it loosened up to be nothing short of GREAT.
Pop a hundred or two of 38 Spl through it and you will notice a difference in the trigger and from there it is just fun fun fun. Shoot that baby for all it's worth and be safe, you have a true working man's classic. Enjoy the ride.

eddiejoe333

I know! I had one before and loved it, but had to let it go. :( That one had much more wear and the trigger was much smoother. This one was a great price and I couldn't pass it up!

bedbugbilly

Very nice! You are going to love that! And it doesn't have "wear" . . . those are "character marks" that just add to it! All of mine have 'em as well. As suggested, shoot it and then shoot it some more . . . I think you'll discover two things . . . the trigger will get better and better and you will get more accustomed to it. Have fun! A great find!

Viper225

My first S&W revolver was a 28 with 4" barrel. It was one of the most accurate revolvers I have owned. An old buddy of mine still owns it, and it still drives tacks from what he tells me about every time I see him.

I do not believe I have ever heard of a 28 that was not a shooter.

Bob

MrBorland

Nice gun. Congrats.

eddiejoe333 said:
The trigger pull is stiff and rough. I guess I need to shoot it to get the trigger sorted out!

Open it up (carefully and correctly), clean and lube it thoroughly.

eddiejoe333

Nice gun. Congrats.

Open it up (carefully and correctly), clean and lube it thoroughly.

I did today. The cylinder was spinning stiffly, so some lube took care of that.

The ejection rod had begun to unscrew, so screwed it back in, finger-tight.

The screw that tensions the mainspring does not want to turn at all.

I have my eye on some Hogue grips for it.

dahermit

The ejection rod had begun to unscrew, so screwed it back in, finger-tight.
"Finger-tight", will usually result in it coming loose again and tying-up the gun. Unscrew it, clean it well and apply a drop of Green (low strength), Loctite to the threads. Then it will never back-out again and if you need to unscrew the ejection rod, it will unscrew without damaging anything.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If a Model 28 trigger is stiff and rough, either there is something wrong or the gun is in bad need of cleaning. Stiffness could be a matter of opinion, but those triggers are never rough, at least as I think of as rough. First, cock the hammer and drop a few drops of a good gun oil down in front of the hammer.

Jim

eddiejoe333

Thanks gents! I'll get some locktite. There was a bit of what seemed to be cosmoline where the crane locks to the frame, so I was fairly liberal with the gun cleaner.