New (to me) Walther PPK

SundownRider

I was recently in a major gun store here in the politically stupid land of Illinois. They had a S&W Walther PPK (used) for sale at $399. I knew the gun had been there a while and offered to take it off their hands for $400 out the door. I got the car dealership runaround, where the "manager" was talked to and they said they could do $404 out the door. I demurred, and wandered to my other gun shop. While looking at a S&W Walther there, the owner said she had just taken in a Walther that day. It was a stainless PPK, Interarms, and the serial number was in the 8000 range. It looked to be used very little if at all, and the marks on it seemed to be more of a glove box variety than a shooting variety. It came with the two magazines, origianl box and paperwork, and it was $375 out the door including tax.

Before I get flamed for getting a .380, just understand I have ALWAYS wanted a Walther PPK. I don't have a reason why. Same thing for the M1 Carbine. Always wanted one, never knew why, happy as a clam I have one.

Was this a good deal, and who can direct me to some good grips?

The Tourist

SundownRider said:
Before I get flamed for getting a .380

I use a .380 ACP for self defense. Lots of police carry them as a back-up gun. You owe no one an explanation.

The Walther is a nice pistol. Like any other automatic, keep it clean, feed it ammo it likes and if problems develope, see a competent gunsmith.

You got a good price.

Magyar

was a stainless PPK, Interarms, and the serial number was in the 8000 range. It looked to be used very little if at all, and the marks on it seemed to be more of a glove box variety than a shooting variety. It came with the two magazines, origianl box and paperwork, and it was $375 out the door including tax.
Buy this one.....That's a real good price...Some will argue that the S&W PPK has a larger tang, etc...However, I prefer the other for reliability...If you experience any slide bites on your PPK, I'll give you a clue on an easy fix...:)
Did it look like this, minus my grips?
PPKauto.jpg

HisSoldier

I've got some checkered wood grips I bought by mistake for my PPK/S, which has a longer handle (DUH!) they are new and I'd sell them cheap. PM me if you want a photo.

michael t

I think you done fine I perfer Interarms over the S&W big rear end crap.
I have owned mine for many years and has always been relieable . I would if you Buy a new recoil spring from wolff (Stock lbs) and a new Hammer spring also stock weight. (simple to change out. PM if you want directions)
Keep well lubed and use only Factory Walther mags. Mine has feed every major brand of ammo I have tried. I will not shoot cheap remanufactured ammo or some body home loaded ammo. I shoot ball for range and carry Corbon DPX or their 90grHP .
I wish you well PPK/S was on pocket or hip many a year. I still carry now and then.

tshadow6

I pocket carry my PPK clone Bersa .380 nearly every day. Silly me left it home while I carried my 9mm Glock 19. I missed my pocketable .380 the whole weekend I was gone. Sometimes a .380 in your pocket is better than anything else.

Yellowfin

Good purchase. I was an inch away from getting one myself. Now that you have it, you mention that Illinois is politically backward. Well, start doing something about it!

turbojohn

PPKs are great hand guns. Just marginal for ccw. Not the size so much as the weight. Just a bit heavy for daily caring. They are susceptible to limp wrist jams. And to chamber first round be sure to let slide snap back on its own or you have generated another source for jams. Once aware of these two problems, I have had no problems with multiple mag-firings.