New To Me Smith & Wesson 18-3

Joe_Pike

I always thought I wanted to pick up a Model 18 but I just never see them in my area. Well, I finally ran across one and snagged it for $450 out the door. I don't know if that's a great deal or not as there is no box or original grips. Other than some wear on the sharp edges it is in really great shape with nice deep bluing. I didn't need to be spending any money on guns (or anything else for that matter), but who knows when I'll see one again.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SW183.jpg
    SW183.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 374

98 220 swift

I have been wanting one of those for several years myself. I have actually been wanting a rough example so I don't have to worry about using it. They seem to be hard to find and are $$$ when you do find them.

aarondhgraham

Great find,,,

And not a bad price either.

Around my part of Okie-Land just about any Model 18 goes for $600 or more.

I paid $375 for mine but that was seven years ago,,,
I think The Evil Pawn Shop Guy gave me a one-time special deal.

No get out and shoot that gun,,,
You're the proud owner of a very fine handgun.

Aarond

roaddog28

Congrats and great acquisition. The model 18 and model 17 maybe the best 22LR SA/DA revolvers. These two revolvers in my area go for over $700 for a shooter grade. You did well.

Kframe

I paid $325 before tax, nearly 20 years ago, for a near mint 18-3 without box/papers.

You did well.

They are sweeeeeet little guns, accurate as heck and you'll never wear it out.

glenncal1

That gun probably originally shipped with magna grips which you can pick up for not to much $$. If you want to get a really nice set of custom grips look up John Culina

smee78

That was a good deal, I love my model 18. They are a pleasure to shoot and will bring you many years of shooting pleasure. Congrats on the addition.

kraigwy

I paid two something for mine a hundred years ago, I didn't realize they had gone up so much.

They are great little camp guns.

22-rimfire

That is a good buy for both of you. Model 18's are hard to find at gun shops. I think I paid that much also like 10 years ago, but it had the original grips and perhaps slightly better condition.

gyvel

You did very well, indeed. I would pay $450.00 OTD for that gun in a New York minute.

IIRC, most NIB 18s came with standard K frame service type grips which are not hard to find and are not expensive. The Pachmayrs you have on the gun will make it pleasanter to shoot, however. I put a set on my 18; It was an improvement.

rodfac

Joe , yer killin' me here...how's it shoot? I've got a Colt Diamondback in .22 lr that I paid $425 for, that should tell you how long I've had it. But it's not as accurate as I hoped...very difficult to find any .22 lr loads that will group sub-3" at 25 yds from rest. And I've tried 'em all more or less. Get us a range rpt on that M18 Smith, pronto!!

Just for comparison purposes, a Ruger single six convertible, sadly stolen during a break-in several years ago, would routinely print nice round 6-shot gps of 1-1/2" or less at 25 yds, with Remington bulk Golden solids. Damn, I miss that pistola.

Thanks Rod