New (to me) Sako 243

North Bender

I just got off a FOB in eastern Afghanistan and bought myself a reward - a Sako Forester from 1969 in 243. I'm now told by experts that the stock is not stock. But it's outstanding nontheless; someone really knew furniture. The bluing is unmarred and the rifle looks new.

P1010639.jpg

P1010634.jpg

Got one of those new Leopold VXL 50mm scopes for it:

P1010640.jpg

Here's a 100-yard target. It shoots Hornady with 55-grain Nosler bullets pretty good. I'm sure I can do better than this.

P1010633.jpg

Abel

Nice rifle. What's the rate of twist? I'd think a Forester would be 1:9 and shoot 100 grainers better than the 55.

Creeper

Very nice wood... nicer than what came stock on a standard Seko in '69. Pretty good accuracy for what is probably a too light and well over-stabilized bullet... bodes well for future accuracy. ;)

I think that in that era, Seko .243s had a 1:10 twist. My old .244 rem. Seko had a 1:12 twist.

C

North Bender

Thanks for the replies Abel and Creeper,

I think the rifle has a 1:12 twist. I'd like to know for sure.

I did shoot some heavier bullets, with disconcerting results:

P1010632.jpg

fyimo

Congratulations on the fantastic Sako 243 and the stock is breath taking. I'm pretty sure it's a custom stock but what the heck it's a fantastic custom stock.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I have an L579 from around 1970. Bought new. It's the carbine version of the Forester; it came with a mannlicher stock. Trouble was, it was a two-piece deal, held together at the barrel band. Once I got rid of the front piece of wood, groups went from vertical strings to easy sub-MOA.

1 in 10 twist. Works great with bullets from 55 grains to 85, but it hasn't done well with 100-grain Noslers.

Tightest groups have been with 70-grain Hornadys and 85-grain Sierra HPBT. 3031 for powder.

viking499

Sweet looking rifle. My model 70 Winchester has a 1:10 twist and will tackdrive 100 grain corelokts and 55 grain federal noslers. Usually they like either the top or bottom limits, but this one likes both. Good luck with yours.

North Bender

Hey Creeper,

The link you sent states: "... the heavier and longer a bullet is, the faster the rifling twist rate needs to be to stabilize it in flight, therefore a lighter shorter bullet needs a slower rifling twist rate to give proper bullet spin for correct flight..."

So, with a 1:12 twist rate in this Sako, why do heavier bullets hit more off target? Why would a 55-grain bullet hit on target and a 70 or 80-grain hit up and left and be scattered to a 3+ -inch group?

Could this be just a recoil thing? I don't think so; I'm pretty stable on the bench but opinions are all welcome.

Creeper

1:12 is a slower twist than 1:9... 1 turn in 12 inches vs. 1 turn in 9 inches. So... a slower twist won't (theoretically) adequately stabilize a longer, heavier 80 grain bullet... or, should I say "optimally stabilize" a 80 grain bullet.
Overstabilization is preferred to under-stabilization as far as accuracy is concerned.

There are many variables to bullet stability... and many formulas available. We've only scratched the surface of the Greenhill formula basics, there are also the Miller and McCoy/Davis updates... and then unique calculations for VLD bullets.

C

Headgear

Ditto what RT said, "Thanks for your service"!!!!! It's because of you and people like you that we still live in a place where we can enjoy shooting/hunting. Enjoy the gun, stay safe and thanks for keeping us that way.

ZeroJunk

Beautiful rifle. I hunted for 20 years and killed a lot of game before anybody ever told me that a group like your first one wasn't quite acceptable.

taylorce1

I just missed out on a helluva deal on a Sako like yours in .243 Win, $450 with old El Paso Weaver K4 on top. Wood was no where near as nice as yours. Sweet old rifle you have there enjoy it you have earned it!

James R. Burke

Abel is correct my wifes .243 with her rate of twist shoots the 100 grain bullet real good. Not to say the smaller ones wont work o.k. The rate of twist would help on determing the best grain for it. That is a real nice looking rifle, as in "Real" nice.