New (to me) S&W 625-3

JoeHatley

Just bought a trade-in from the local range yesterday. Hope to pick it up today after work.

It's got the 4" barrel. Does anyone know how long it's been since S&W made these. Serial # is BEP77XX.

I'm like a kid on X-mas eve. There just aren't many things better than getting a new pistol!!!

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Hard Ball

You got a great revolver. I have one and it is one of my favorite handguns. The 4 inch barrel is an ideal length for all round use, betteit r than the 5 inch if you ever want to carry concealed. 625s are normally very accurate with metal jacketed bullets. It is also the fastest revolver to reload if you use the full moon clips, significantly faster than using calibers which require speed loaders.

Trigger Jerk

That's a coincidence, as I just bought a 625 with 5 inch bbl this past weekend at a gun show. I've always wanted one but never seemed to be able to find one when I could afford it. Now I need a 1st class trigger job. Any reccomendations?

How coincidental, I just bought a 625 w/5" barrel and glass bead finish. This is my second 625. Enjoyed the first one so much, had to get a second.
sw625-6.jpg

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited January 13, 2000).]

JoeHatley

Wow!!! It seems like the 625 has almost a cult following.

Can't wait to shoot mine...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Ron H

I've had my new M625 5" about two weeks now, and haven't had a chance to shoot it due to the weather. I just ordered some Hogue checkered goncalo alves monogrips and a moon clip stripper tool from Brownell's which I should get tomorrow. This gun has the bead blasted finish and is beautiful. The guy at the gunshop who shoots competively uses 5 grains of 231 w/185 gr. lswc. Any other favorite loads I need to try? I'm thinking of experimenting with unique to load hotter than I do with my Kimber. I do love .45's and those big holes they make in the targets. Ron

D Crockett

You Guys w/ the .45 Revolvers,

Clark Custom s in Princeton,LA can do the trigger job and for another $100 (I think) will bore the cylinders a little deeper so that you can shoot the .460 Rowland. This round gives performance similar to the .44mag in .45 caliber. You can still shoot regular .45acp loads in the revolver too.
Their no. is (318)949-9884.
Enjoy a great revolver!

Dave in AL

Dorcas

Geez, I want a 625-3 so bad and can never find one. I want one as a car gun that can share ammo with my 1911. Better yet, I would love S&W to come out with a mountain gun in .45 acp

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

NJW

I have one of the original batch of 5" 625's and liked it so much I got one of the later versions with the 3" barrel that is a great shooter.
Dorcas, They did make a 45 ACP mountain gun, it was a special edition for commemorating Springfeild armory.
Here is a pic of my 3" & 5" 625's and my original Lew Horton 3" round butt 629 which was my first handgun I ever owned.

View

NJW

[This message has been edited by NJW (edited January 15, 2000).]

pluspinc

I have a 3 inch made in 1989. Probably my favorite carry gun with 185 grain Remington +P's. It's a street animal. Demand for these gun is very high. Amazed S&W didn't stick with making them. Gunnah shoot it today in fact now that I think about it.

fubsy

NJW,
are you sure about the 45acp in the mountain revolver style......Ive been dreaming of one and every one Ive been able to ask says that they didnt make one......sheesh......tks Ill be calling s/w and see if I can track back wards to a dealer....tks much..fubsy.

JoeHatley

Just got back from picking up the 625-3. Paper work snafu on the part of the seller slowed things down a couple of days.

Gonna have ta hit the range after work and see how she shoots...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

australoamerican

Retired Screen Name
You picked a good revolver in the 625.
I bought a new 625 and shortened the barrel to 3.5" for action match. The balance seems much improved (at least for me) and those full moon clips from Ranch Products are fast on the reloads!
And you can use a wide range of projectiles in the 625.

NJW

Fubsy,
I am sure about the Mountain gun in 45 ACP. As I said it was made as a commemorative edition but it wasn't one of those gold inlaid things to leave in the case. It had the S.A. logo (crossed cannons etc) etched on the side plate and something etched on the barrel. Other than that it looks like a regular 4" mountain with the new style chamfered cylinder which is perfectly suitable for everyday use. I don't know how many were made (at least 5,000) but I think if you looked around you should be able to find one.

Good Luck,

NJW

JoeHatley

I spent a very enjoyable hour at the range yesterday. Pistol shoots great. The very 1st 6 rounds were all in the X-ring. Didn't even have to adjust the sights. Previous owner must have had his eyes calibrated at the same place I did.

I used the same reloads as I shoot in my 1911's. 200 grain LSWC cast. They were accurate, but I had to jiggle the full moon clips a bit, to get it started. The SWC shoulder seems to hang up on the cylinder opening. I'll have to try some different profile bullets.

It came with 2 grips. Hogue rubber and the original S&W coco bolo combat style. I had the wood grips on last night, but I think I'll put the Hogue's on. The wood are great looking, but they kinda slid around, especially in double action.

Buying a used firearm can sometimes be a bit of a crap shoot. Ya never know if you'r buyin' somebody else's problems. I think I got a good one.

I've been without any Smiths for a few years now. I'm glad I rectified that...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

NJW

Joe,
I also found that the 200's shoot great out of my 625's but hate having to jiggle them into the cylinder. I found that the 625's also like the 230 RNL so now I have a load that is specifically for the 625's using that. I tried a flat point 200 gr. bullet but found it wasn't very accurate (out of my ransom rest) so I stopped loading them. I really liked the style since it had a crimping groove and they went into the cylinder really smooth.
I roll crimp all the ammo I load for my revolvers, this really makes the rounds go in smoothly. I also use a seperate batch of brass (all with the same headstamp) for my revolvers only. I found that the autos can chew up the brass and sometimes it causes problems in the revolvers. Keeping the brass seperated has made things easier for me.

Neal