New to me, S&W 624

Viper99

She is finally home. Maybe I get to shoot it on Saturday. Ouch on the ammo prices.

Attachments

• 624.1.jpg
    624.1.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 624.2.jpg
    624.2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 91

smee78

O come on now, if you can afford a great looking revolver like that one (gold rear sight) then you can afford a few boxes of ammo. Just kidding, I know that 44 special ammo is costly.

orionengnr

When I first owned my three .44s, the Blazer 200 gr JHPs were $12 a box. The price doubled pretty quickly, and I was out.

If I'd started handloading a few years earlier, I might still have those .44s.

Sounds like it's not too late for you. :)

Ozzieman

I own a small herd of 24's and I have never seen a gold rear sight.:confused:
I understand your pain of ammo $$$$$$$$$$ but if you don't reload she will empty your pocket.
Nice gun, I would trade my 6 inch stainless for that in a heartbeat.

dahermit

I suspect that someone had the rear sight gold plated. I have never heard of S&W shipping a gun with that done to it. Seems to me if it was engraved and had some other gold appointments, then it could have been a factory job.

Viper99

I understand your pain of ammo $$$$$$$$$$ but if you don't reload she will empty your

I know what you mean. The only .44 special they had was Hormandy critical defense which I will waste at the range. Oh well, feed it the best the first time around.

At least one of the workers at my local FFL told me he would reload some rounds if I wanted to.

I did have plan once to consolidate everything to 9mm semi-autos. Never did make it.

Nick_C_S

<-- This guy's jealous.

Whatta beauty!

The 624 looks so "right" with the 4" bbl.

For whatever it's worth: 44 Special is possibly the most fun and easy round to handload. With minimal investment, you could roll your own. HUGE savings with handloaded 44 Special. Some calibers realize better savings than others by handloading. 44 Special is one of the best in terms of savings.

You need to start reloading.

If I didn't reload for .32-20, .44 Special, and .45 Long Colt I'd never shoot my guns chambered for those rounds.

Paul B.

I shoot the Lyman #420241 bullet over 7.4 gr. of Unique. Elmer Keith's bullet and Skeeter Skelton's pet load. Throw in a 6.5" M624 and that's perfection personified. :D
Paul B.

Viper99

I would trade my 6 inch stainless for that in a heartbeat.

I think if I traded it will be for a semi-auto. Getting an urge for a semi-auto next time around.

If I didn't reload for .32-20, .44 Special, and .45 Long Colt I'd never shoot my guns chambered for those rounds.
I haven't had time to reload these last few years, which is the main reason I don't shoot .44 Special anymore.

Another reason for reloading is that factory ammunition can be very inconsistent. Most of the self-defense loads use light bullets with varying points of impact, and most range ammo is loaded down so as not to blow up the Charter pistols.

To get the most out of the load in almost any respect, reloading is a priority.

Viper99

Finally got away from the Honey do-list to fire the 624 for the first time.
What a pleasant surprise. Very accurate and recoil was a lot less than what I expected.:D

Model12Win

.44 special begs to be reloaded.

That's one of the reasons why I don't own a Charter Arms Bulldog... in fact it's the ONLY reason!

OP, I LOVE YOUR NEW GUN IT'S REALLY COOL!!! :D

Viper99

I have never done any reloading and my wife would probably have an issue if I store gun powder in the house. I will probably enjoy this toy for a while and then trade it for a 9mm semi-auto.