New To Me Ruger Security Six 200 Anniversary Model

jtmckinney

Dropped by a local pawn shop that sometimes have something interesting and this was for sale, $499 price tag on it. Everything about it checked out. It is in excellent shape for a 39 year old firearm and has been shot very little from what I could tell. I noticed it was the 200 year anniversary model. I didn't say anything and neither did the salesman. I left did a couple of errands but couldn't get it out of my mind so I loaded up an old millsurp rifle I have and went back and tried to make a deal trading the rifle in but they were not interested in the rifle. I put the rifle back into my pickup and thought about it some more and went back in and ask what would be their bottom dollar. He looked up a couple things on the computer and did some calculator work and told me $460 out the door. I thanked him, walked to the door, crunched the numbers in my head, decided I can make this work so I went back and bought it.

Not sure how much being the 200 year anniversary model adds to the value but it couldn't hurt and I think adds to the appeal.

Was $460 too much to pay for one of these in excellent condition?

Have a great day!
James

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 656
  • Ruger Security Six 01.jpg
    Ruger Security Six 01.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 661

Whirlwind06

I think you did good! Looks like it is in great shape.
The Ruger Six models are going up in price, couple years ago they were budget .357s on gunbroker. Not so much any more.

Doyle

I've been watching Gunbroker for Security Sixs in the last few weeks and I've seen a few of those 200 anniversary models sold. One stainless model in excellent condition went for $680. A blued one in really nice shape went for $475 and another blued one in "good" (i.e. well used) condition went for around $300.

So, your price of $460 seems to be right in that ballpark.

Lost Sheep

The text

The text on my Ruger Old Army reads

"Made in the 200th year of American Liberty"

It was made in 1976.

Lot Sheep

jtmckinney

"Made in the 200th year of American Liberty"
That is what is stamped on the frame left side under the hammer. You can see it in the lower picture but not readable. Just for grins I checked the Ruger website and serial number also checks to 1976.

Single action trigger is good. Double action is very clean with no grit I can feel but heavy. I may take it to a shop not too far from me that is known for good work and let them do a trigger job on it. I talked to them about cutting the barrel down to 4 inches. They said it could be done but they wouldn't suggest it.

"Liberty Model" sounds right and I will probably start calling it that. 1976 was also the year me and my wife got married. I remember there were a lot of celebrations but I was kind of busy with other things :rolleyes:.

Sounds like I didn't do too bad on the deal and I am supposed to get a paycheck today so no buyers remorse here.

Thanks all!
James

geetarman

I don't have any 200th year Ruger handguns but do have a M77V 22-250. I don't think I would do anything to the barrel to shorten it. Maybe work on the action a bit but I would not want to modify the gun such that it could not be made original again. It looks like a pretty nice piece to me.

CajunBass

The 200th year really doesn't add any value to it. Ruger stamped every gun they made that year with that rollmark. It doesn't hurt anything though, and if you like it, that's good enough.

Price was about average around here.

They're good solid guns. I like them a lot better than I do the "improved" GP-100 series. As a matter of fact, when Ruger stopped making them, I stopped buying Ruger centerfire handguns.

Now, shoot the snot out of it. :D

hdbiker

200 year Rugers

I have a couple 200 year Rugers,a Mk1 target auto and a Blackhawk .357.Stampted in the barrell (Made In The 200TH year Of American Liberty).They bring a slight premiun in price. hdbiker