New (to me) Ruger mk.III

dayman

Well, at long last I decided to join the ranks of Mark III owners. I've been passively looking for one for the past while, and noticed this barley used beauty behind the glass at my local shop yesterday when I went in to buy ammo.

602659_316922835081537_1652397769_n.jpg

I still wanted it today, so I got permission and went in to see if I could get a deal. All told it was a hair over $250 out the door, so I'm pretty happy. I have seen better deals, but not often around here.
For what I've been spending on 9mm, it seemed like the right financial choice to make - I'm pretty sure I'll have made up the difference within a couple months.
My wife was even okay with it - as long as I give her one massage every night until I have the card payed off.
I shot a quick 10 when I got home just to make sure everything was working, and it seems like it's dead on. I'll post more once I have a chance to actually put it through it's paces. All in all I'm pretty happy.

stu925

Yours has nicer grips than mine does, mine has the black plastic grips. You'll enjoy that gun, they're very accurate. You might want to consider changing out the hammer bushing and removing the magazine disconnect. Field stripping with the magazine disconnect used to drive me crazy, ordered a new hammer bushing from Sam Lam over at rimfire central and got rid of the disconnect. Best $10 part I ever bought. My next investment is one of the speed loaders for the magazines.

Stu

Topkicker

I've owned a stainless Ruger MKII for about 15yrs. Still one of my favorite pistols to shoot. Congrats on your MKIII. It will be a keeper.

orionengnr

Nice snag for the price.
I have had two MkIIs and one MkIII--the MkIII is gone due to the different mags and the Lawyer features...the LCI, the mag disconnect, the ILS, etc.

None of those should be an issue for you.

Enjoy your MkIII.

aarondhgraham

Hello Dayman,,,

Congrats on your new pistol,,,
I believe you will find it accurate and dependable.

One thing though,,,
You don't have a Ruger Mk-III,,,
You have a Ruger 22/45 Mk-III pistol.

The only reason I bring this up is,,,
Nothing interchanges between the two guns,,,
I'm referring to magazines and replacement grips.

Here is a wonderful accessory for your 22/45,,,
It's an HKS mag loader for your pistol,,,
Make sure you order the 22B model,,,
It's the best 3.99 you'll ever spend.

Enjoy your new pistol,,, :)

Aarond

dayman

Thanks - I did know it was the 22/45 (I preferred the grip to the original mkIII), but I didn't know there was so little interchangeability.
I had the chance to shoot it more tonight after giving up on bow season for the year, and I have to say it's superbly accurate.
I was just shooting at steels 10 yards away, but none of my groups was much bigger than an inch. It was shooting pretty high, but I imagine it was sighted in for something a bit further away.
The best thing of all was that all the shooting I was able to do cost almost nothing.
I'm going to try to print out some targets tomorrow, and see how things go at 25yds.

Pilot

They're great pistols. I have three Ruger MK II's and one Mk II era 22/45 with a four inch bull barrel. I like it a lot, especially for field carry as it is lighter and shorter than my 5.5 bull barrel Target MK II's. If I do my part, it is almost as accurate as the others also. They are capable of excellent accuracy, and at some point you may consider throwing in some Volquartsen trigger parts to make if a little easier to shoot more accurately.