New To Me Pedersoli Rifle

ThomasT

Just won this Pedersoli rifle off GB for what I think is a good price for what they are selling for at Dixie Gun works. I have owned a Pedersoli Blue Ridge rifle many years ago and it was a fine shooting gun.

This is in .45 caliber and is my favorite BP rifle caliber to shoot. I have another .45 and cast round balls and a 200gr Lee REAL bullet. Anyone have any experience with this model of gun? i know they are not authentic but thats not a huge concern to me. It in the spirit of the original guns and for now thats good enough for me. Dixie list the price on their guns at $650. I will pay $355 for this one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/764452897

Pahoo

No second thoughts

ratshooter
If the bore is good then I feel you did rather well. I have my preference on the Pedersoli's but never the quality. This looks to be one of the Pennsylvania types but not sure and don't know if it's a current model. .... :)

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

ThomasT

Got the rifle Friday. The bore is good The stock looks good too. It has been shot but seems to have been cared for. I took off the lock expecting to find a little dirt in there but it was surprisingly clean. It did have one spot near the muzzle where a cross pin for the thimble broke out the wood. The only thing I don't like is that sucker is long. Its longer than I expected. Here are a few pictures of the gun.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 49

ThomasT

It only let me post three pictures so here are a couple of shots of the bore. This has been identified as a Dixie pennsylvania rifle and they sell new from Dixie for $1050. So I am pleased with the $355 I paid for it.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 41

Pahoo

Excellent

ratshooter
Again, you did rather well. Not only a good bore and deep rifling. The crown is in great shape as well. Des not look like it's been shot very much. .... :)
Not seeing that "ding" very well but you might be able to raise it but at any rates;

Clean her up and "Make Smoke" ...... :D

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

ThomasT

Hey Pahoo its not really a ding but a chip shown in the fuzzy picture number 3 in the 3rd post. I bought some walnut wood putty and filled the chip and its almost invisible now.

Pahoo

Great job

I bought some walnut wood putty and filled the chip and its almost invisible now.
Sounds like you did a good fix. Dings are fairly easy to raise but once the fibers are broken, then it takes a bit more work. Might want to tell the folks what product you used. Even when Making my own out of matching wood, I can never match the finished color. ....... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

ThomasT

I just used wood filler I found at home Depot. Walnut color. Minwax brand. Its a little lighter in color than the stock So I stained it darker with Old English scratch remover. Its still not a perfect match. I will try something else most likely or maybe just live with it. Its not that big of a deal to me. I admit I am anal though. I like things straight, even and perfect. And everything put back where its supposed to go.

I really don't like the 42" barrel. I like the same gun offered by Pedersoli called the Dixie Cub with patch box or the same gun without patch box named Scout rifle. I am giving some serious thought to shortning this gun to around 28-30" and refitting the nose cap. Should be an easy conversion and would give me the gun I wanted the most. Or I may just sell it. After I test fire it.:D

gwpercle

Awesome Deal....I hoped you were the one who got it.
Looks nice for the price....you did good !

The good thing about a reproduction is you can shorten the barrel and not worry about hurting the value !
How does it shoot ?
Gary

ThomasT

Hi Gary. Were you watching it too? Yes a barrel shortning may be in the future but I will shoot it as is first. Heck I may really like it. Ad no I haven't shot it yet.

I did go shoot BP rifles yesterday but I shot my other ".45". A Cabelas Hawken I bought as a kit back in the middle 1990s and man what a good shooting gun that is. The kit was $129 shipped and it has the best looking wood of all the rifles I own. It has gold and brown stripes through it and in the sun the gold stripes look like they go deep into the wood. My bud bought a kit because he liked my rifle so much but has has some very plain looking wood. It shoots fine though.

Maybe next weekend I will go shoot again. If i do I will try out the Pedersoli. This was the first time I have shot BP rifles in about 3 years. I had forgotten how much fun they were to shoot.