New to Me P228: Extractor Problem?

TunnelRat

Hi All,
I am cursed, honestly :mad:. I went ahead and bought a used P228 from Robertson Trading Post on GunsAmerica. It's a used Swiss police trade-in from 2005. I love the looks, weight, and the trigger is amazing. However I think it may have a problem. One test I do with every gun I get is I cycle an entire magazine of my carry ammo, Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P, through the gun. Not fire mind you, just rack the slide until the magazine is empty. I like to do this as a sanity check to make sure things are feeding properly because of issues I've had in the past.

However I did this on my P228 and it failed on every round. Every single round either got stuck with the nose jammed into the breach opening or the round just fell right back into the gun as if the extractor had only barely grabbed it. Please see the attached pics for reference. The first picture is of the round just staying in the breach. The second is of the round getting stuck while being extracted.

I had just spent 2 hours cleaning this gun and the magazines so I honestly don't think it was that (I made sure to clean under the extractor too). I wanted to try other magazines but my P229 mags won't fit. However I used the P228 mags in my P229 and they worked fine over and over. I thought maybe it was the hollowpoints so I tried some round nose Federal 115 gr ammo and had the same issues.

I am planning to go to the range tomorrow. What should I be looking for to narrow down my problem? If this is an extractor problem, how hard/expensive is it to repair?

Thanks,
-TR

Attachments

• DSCN1351[1].jpg
    DSCN1351[1].jpg
    220 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1352[1].jpg
    DSCN1352[1].jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 17