New to me model 15

DMMikey

Some of you might remember that I posted a few weeks ago about getting a .38 special revolver for bullseye use.
As luck would have it, the large taxidermy/bow hunting dealer near me finally got his FFL. I just wandered in out of curiousity, not even knowing that this went through. Not much stock yet, but one of the business partners has put up for sale a model 15-3 4" (combat masterpiece) that was his personal gun.
It seems to be in great shape. I will be doing the complete revolver check out on it tomorrow.
Being an older model, is it safe to dry fire this gun? Should I be sure to invest in snap caps?
I believe there are no gunsmith mounts that will work with this. I know a post '93 model would be preferred for this, as they are drilled and tapped for rails.
It looks like the Weaver mount that works with this slides over a portion of the frame. Will it scratch up the gun?
If everything goes through ok, I will post pics. I'm pretty excited.

Mikey

Last edited:

madcratebuilder

It looks like the Weaver mount that works with this slides over a portion of the frame. Will it scratch up the gun?

Be sure and check for any burrs or sharp edges on the 'no gunsmithing' mount, they can scratch the surface if your not very careful. I can tell you from experience that they well leave a mark if used much.
Why do you want to scope a four inch barrel? The M15 is an adjustable sight gun. If you really want to scope a short barrel gun get a M10 and drill and tap for a solid mount.
Buehler used to have a clamp on mount that clamped on the frame above the cylinder. These are very well made and work well up to .357 size hand guns. You may find some new/old stock on evil bay or gunbroker.

KyJim

The Model 15 should not be dry fired without snap caps. It has the firing pin on the hammer. It is acceptable, after asking, to test the smoothness of the action by using your thumb to control the hammer so that it does not fall sharply.

It's would be your gun so do with it what you want. However, IMO, a scope on a Model 15 just sounds blasphemous. :)

DMMikey

Yup. I realize that a scope on a model 15 sounds blasphemous. Actually, I intend to use a red dot or more specifically, one of the very small reflex/holo sights.
Why? Because like most people over 40, my eyesight sucks.
No I don't want to drill and tap a model 10, or drill and tap a model 15. That would really be blasphemous. I'm hoping that using a no gunsmith mount will allow me to switch the gun back to its original configuration, with no harm, no foul.
Yes, it would be better if I could find a newer model, post 1993. That's not so simple where I am. Buying over gunbroker doesn't go over with FFL's very well around here.
Thanks for the info on dry firing. I suspected the firing pin on the hammer made a difference.

a7mmnut

BSquare makes good, solid retro mounts for almost anything. I have one on a Redhawk, my BPS pump shotgun, and one on a Super Blackhawk. They're all A++!

-7-

DMMikey

Thanks casimer, that's another great option and the kind of input I was looking for.
I will also do some more checking on B-square.