New to me Model 10 nickle .38

omegapd

I just couldn't wait and came up with the balance for this gun today to take it off of lay-away... :D

S&W Model 10-6 Anybody know when the -6 was made?

As you might be able to see in the pics, the nickle is coming off in certain spots. On the hammer, backstrap, under the trigger guard and a bit on the muzzle. None of the spots are really bad, though, and this will be a carry gun so aesthetics don't matter too much to me.

I hope to get out to the range Wednesday morning and run it through its paces. I have no doubts, though, that it'll perform perfect. The trigger is typical old S&W. You can't ask for anything better...

GUN032.jpg

GUN033.jpg

EW

The -6 indicates the heavy barrel and was made at the same time as the -5 (standard barrel) from mid 1960s through 1977 or so. The -7 included both barrel contours.

BTW- If the hammer and/or trigger is plated it's been refinished. S&W didn't plate these parts and they should be case hardened, not nickel.

XavierBreath

Nice gun you got there ome!

Swap out that massive lumber for a Hogue Monogrip and you will have a superb sixgun!

Don't worry about the nickel refinish........ when it really starts to looking bad, send it to Ford's for a hard chrome job and be done with it! It's a carry gun, not a historical relic!

I'm in the market for a 10-6 at the right price.........of course I'm in the market for a __________________(fill in the blank) at the right price. ;)

omegapd

Swap out that massive lumber for a Hogue Monogrip and you will have a superb sixgun!

Maybe a Pachmyer... :D

You know, I really like those big target grips but I agree it's overkill on the .38

Jeff #111

Those grips are huge on the Model 10. Are they possibly N frame grips that somebody put on them? I know there was a recent thread on one of the forumsabout this very topic.