New to Me CZ-83

tallball

It arrived at my FFL today. I got it from CDI Sales on Gunbroker for $315. After shooting my FiL's on half a dozen occasions or so, I had to admit that I just flat-out shot it better than my Beretta or Russian Makarov. The trigger was better than either one and it fit my hands better, too.

According to the pictures, this was the nicest one they had. The bore is pristine. It looks like it was neither shot nor carried much. I field-stripped it and gave it a little lube. Tomorrow morning I am going to the range with a colleague. I am really looking forward to seeing how well this little rascal shoots. :)

CZ83_zpslwlf7aml.jpg

tallball

Thanks everyone! I have shot quite a few 380 service pistols and these are my favorite. The Colt Government Model is awfully nice too. And I suppose it's hard to complain much about the Beretta 84...

I have taught a lot of new shooters, and shoot with women and kids (usually relatives) often. I always start with 22's, then 32's. Everyone can do those. When they are ready for a little more, I think these 380 service pistols are a great next step. After that is passe, they are ready to try 38 special and 9mm and whatever.

The blowbacks like this are just a little bit snappy, but they seem to me a little more accurate than a similarly sized 9mm. My FiL believes it's because of the fixed barrel. He is 70, and his eyes aren't what they used to be and his hands are a little shaky, but at 15 yards he can empty a couple of magazines from his CZ83 into a group I can normally cover with the palm of my hand.

Ibmikey

Congrats on the new CZ, I have three of the 82's and spruced them up with grips from Grips4u and Ceracoat finishes. The pistol has great ergonomics and are flawlessly reliable. Be sure to share a few of your targets with us.

tallball

I went to the range with a colleague and we had a good time. I am afraid his classic veteran S&W Model 66 made me sad about my own DA revolvers, which I previously thought had very good triggers. His Ruger LCR 357 was also sweet as could be. He loved my CZ75 and ADORED my Super Blackhawk three screw.

The CZ83 took a little getting used to. Its trigger definitely has some takeup. My first magazine was all over the place. Then he shot a so-so magazine and mentioned the takeup and a couple of things about the grip. After we concentrated on those things we were fine. After a couple of magazines each of us was shooting palm-sized groups at 15 yards. Once I got used to the takeup the trigger was fine. It is actually very soft.

All in all, I never thought I would find a 380 that I could shoot better than my Makarov, but I am pretty sure this is it. I will take target pictures next time. :)

tallball

I am 99% sure they are out of production. CDI Sales has a bunch of them at the moment. The rough-looking ones are in the low $200's. The nicest ones were $315 when I ordered mine last week. Other places probably have them too.

Trooper Joe

Don’t hear much about CZ 83’s. Got mine last year from Gander’s in Lansing, Michigan.

I am sure it has been special coated and for some reason did not have a magazine. Magazine’s were easy to get and the “Grips4u” grips from Illinois really made the gun neat.

Great accurate shooter and functions flawlessly.

Got about $325 in it with the grips and magazine, etc.

Trooper Joe

P71pilot

Nice Czech machines there guys. The Czechs make fine weapons. I had a cz52 7.62x25, made in 1954 and it was great