New (to me) CETME

auberg

Okay guys, I had been eyeballing a CETME at my local shop for a couple of months. A couple of weeks ago I bought it. It is a Century and has been previously owned. I got it out to the range and ran several different ammos through it (about 50 rounds) without failure and with very good accuracy. All of that being said, is there anything else I should be looking for with this?
Also, how can I tell if it is a stamped receiver?

Thanks for your help.

Pappy John

I think all the Century recievers are stamped. A trip to any decent gun show will probably yield some cheap G3 mags, if you feel the need for extras. Every one of those mags that I've ever tried has run without a hitch. It's just too bad that the days of 18 cent a round 7.62 nato surplus ammo are long gone.

For particulars on checking safety issues such as the bolt gap, go here... http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=296

If you don't mind, how much did you pay? I bought mine for $300, just at the tail end of the time when I used to see whole tables full of these things at every show. Now I hardly ever see them at all and I'm wondering if the prices are on the rise.

Slamfire

I am not an expert on the CETME, but unless there is some rare variant, that rifle was designed to be built from stampings.

There is nothing wrong with stampings. Good stamping technology in combination with intelligent design will make a strong structure. Heck, I bet you drive every day in a sheet metal stamping. All metal car panels, and unibody cars, are made from metal stampings.

But in case I am wrong, look for welds underneath the receiver. You take the buttstock off, remove the pistol grip, and you will see welds. I cannot imagine anyone ever welding a machined CETME receiver. If such a thing exists.

auberg

Thanks guys.

I just got back from a good show here in Louisville. I actually found some Cetme (not G3) mags for about $10 each. And a little Israeli .308 for about 30 cents a round. Had it not been Christmas time, I would have bought more than 100 rounds.

How much did I pay? Uh... too much. About $600. I know it was too much, but it was from my regular shop and I knew if there were problems, I could take it back to them without problem, and, it had one of the side folding stocks, which added to the value for me.

I figured if I saw a weld that it probably was stamped and I didn't have a problem with that, I just wanted to make sure. It is stamped.

Like I said, I'm very happy with it. It was a lot more accurate than I expected.

Take Care