New (to me) C96 broomhandle finally gets tested

crowtalks

I recently picked up a Mauser C96 Broomhandle to add to my small collection of historical weapons.

This C96 was made between 1911 and 1915 and a former owner had it refinished and reblued. The bore is matte and about 40%, which was surprising because of the good deal I got on this weapon.

A few of the internal parts had been replaced, but the hammer pivot/sear spring was very weak and I ordered a new one to make it safe to fire without going full auto.

I replaced the pivot and fired a stripper clip full of ammo through it today flawlessly. Awesome!

Attachments

• Mauser C96.jpeg
    Mauser C96.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 126

44 AMP

Staff
I had a Bolo that had been converted to 9mm. Neat gun. One of, if not the most painful 9mms to shoot I've ever had. Despite the size and weight, the shape of the grip and the stock slot in it made it really nasty.

*****cat with the stock on it, but thanks to the Fed's change of mind, the stock went away some years before I sold the pistol.

Drm50

I haven’t had a Broomhandle in years. I always wanted the Red 9. I always ended up with 7.63mm and one of those was an Astra Clone. Actually never shot the 7.63s much because of ammo, didn’t load them either. When I was in school a buddy had a Red 9 his dad brought home from occupation of Germany. The Mauser was a German police issue.
They are a finely machined pistol. To make something of that quality today would be $3K.
When I started fooling with guns in early 60s they didn’t bring much. They have shot up in value. I notice that there are 2nd owner Lugers coming out on market. The WW2 Vets are fading away. That Pistol they brought home has found it’s way to new generation who will sell it in a heart beat.

44_Amp - my experience is different. I shot one in Germany (7.62 mm Mauser) and I got hammer bite when the stock was attached - and I have small hands. The C96 had a small ring hammer too. No bite and no problem when the stock was removed.

TruthTellers

Agree with 44 AMP. I shot my uncle's broomhandle years ago in 9mm and while the recoil wasn't awful, the ergos and sights were. Killed my interest in them pretty quick and that was when I realized a lot of vintage semi auto pistols, while they might look cool, aren't cool to shoot.

Lately I've been contemplating getting a Luger, but then I remind myself of the C96.

Some guns are just best left behind the glass case.

I've always wanted a Broomhandle. I've fired several over the years, but after seeing a couple with cracked bolts I've cooled on them considerably.

Although highly unlikely, it's possible that a cracked bolt could facture and cough a chunk of it right back in the shooter's face.

I'm ugly enough already, I don't need to compound the issue with a big hunk of high-speed steel.

micromontenegro

I just started shooting broomhandles this last year, and I am flabbergasted at what a nice pistol they are. Yes, the bore axis is quite high so recoil is very rotational, but once you get used to that they shoot like a dream. I am willing to bet that a like-new C96 with good sights would be amongst the most accurate centerfire pistols extant.

I'd LOVE to have a C96 with modern metalurgy, sights, and removable magazines.

micromontenegro

We have a refinished conehammer, a refinished prewar commercial, and an all-original wartime commercial.

Attachments

• CD013A71-CB42-4886-B8FE-BF455AB41D91.jpeg
    CD013A71-CB42-4886-B8FE-BF455AB41D91.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 43

44 AMP

Staff
I'd LOVE to have a C96 with modern metalurgy, sights, and removable magazines.

Besides the cost, there is a small legal complication, depending on where you live. In some places, if the magazine is removable and NOT IN THE GRIP they classify it as an assault weapon.

Don't shy off from the Luger (P.08) because of experience with a Broomhandle, they are totally different, other than caliber.

And, before someone starts a rant about how the ergonomics are bad, this is bad, that is bad how modern semis are soo much better...

Please don't waste your breath. If I WANTED a piece of "combat tupperware," I'd buy one.

I don't. :D

Oh, here's a tidbit about the C96, "Broomhandle" is a nickname used in America and (I think) England.

The old German nickname was "Kuhfusspistole". (Cow foot pistol) because it was "ugly as a cow's foot!" :rolleyes:

The gun I had was made in the 20s (from what I could find out). Finish was very good, it had been (re)bored and chambered for 9mm Luger. It was the "Bolo" model and I named it "Han"... Han Bolo! (didn't have the little scope or flash hider from Star Wars, but it was close, :D