New to me 92FS

Rob96

Today I picked up a LNIB Beretta 92FS. Doesn't look to be fired. It was traded in by an older gentleman who just couldn't hold. Paid $390 for it. Came with two Beretta 15rd mags. Been wanting get one as it is what I carried as a USAF SP. Always liked it and shot it well.

picker

Those deals don't come along every day, lucky you, I just bought me a new 92F I really like the gun.
In the process of finding out what kinda ammo it likes best.
Best/j

Rattlehead

Very nice score. I picked up a used police trade-in for just a little less than that; LNIB is an excellent find. I'm jealous.

Dragline45

Do yourself a favor and get a Beretta D hammer spring, it's the spring Beretta uses in their DAO models. The difference in the DA trigger pull is night and day, so much so that I prefer a Beretta DA trigger with a D spring over Sig's DA pull.

Bart Noir

Dragline, is that replacement of the hammer spring a difficult task?

I like the DA pulls on the well-used 92s that I own, but lighter is always better.

Rob96, does your forum name mean that you secretly desire the Beretta 96? :D

If it looks like previous owner(s) have shot that pistol extensively, you might consider replacing the recoil spring and the locking block. Those don't last forever and a gun with a broken lock goes from a functioning shooter to a jammed handful of metal so very quickly....

Bart Noir

Rob96

I'll get pics up Saturday.
No the 96 in my name does notvrefer to the model 96. You can imagine how hard it is to use your first name when it is so common. The 96 refers to the 96 Ford Ranger I had when I joined the board.

Dragline45

Dragline, is that replacement of the hammer spring a difficult task?

Extremely easy. You take the grips off, depress the lanyard loop at the bottom of the magwell, then pop out the pin holding it in. The hammer spring will fall out and you just pop the new one in and repin the lanyard loop back in place. If you have an Italian Beretta it will be slightly different.

Yung.gunr

Wow, that is a killer deal. Had a 92FS for a couple years. Loved it, just realized it was a safe queen, I don't own safe queens, so off it went.
Never got around to changing it to the D spring but everyone raves about that change.

Pilot

To replace the hammer spring (main spring) with the lighter, Beretta D spring you must push out the roll pin with a punch. It isn't hard. Replace it with an American "dog bone" pin, and you're good to go.

The D spring mod, and the Elite II hammer are two easy, do it yourself mods, that are very quickly done.

LockedBreech

Had a 92FS for a couple years. Loved it, just realized it was a safe queen, I don't own safe queens, so off it went.

I agree with that approach. I got my 92FS new in box, shiny and pretty, but it gets carried and nightstand duty and car duty sometimes. It already has very light wear on the corners. I enjoy a worn gun more than a safe queen, a gun that has proven it works.