New to 45-70 have some questions

SeanMP

I have just recently acquired a buffalo classic in 45-70. I will be shooting BP out it exclusively. Does anyone have any sage advice?
Beyond that I have a few specific questions

Is it necessary to neck size?

Can/has anyone got any experience field loading this cartridge ie like Pope and the lads did at a match.
I have a capper decapper(pope style) for my 38-55 which I field load almost exclusively

Can the 45-70 be muzzle fed? I use this method occasionally with the 38-55 using a Pope style bullet starter and it actually does improve the groups

Any information to get me started would be great. I have about a week to wait before my assortment of brass and lead arrives

ColColt

My only advice is to use Swiss 1 1/2 powder, about 62 gr with a .030" or .060" Walter's wad on top of the powder and seat the bullet(500 gr) so that it touches the wad-NO air gap. You'll probably have to compress just a small amount. Swiss doesn't like compression so if you can get by without it all the better.

I've never heard of anyone "muzzle feeding" a 45-70.

You'll need a compression die and a drop tube is nice to have from Buffalo Arms. Don't compress any powder using the bullet base. It will deform it. Goex 2F powder likes compression so you can go up to .250" or more and try that to see what compression you rifle likes and what weight bullet. The Lyman 500 gr is a great one to use and most accurate in my Browning BPCR in 45-70.

Neck sizing is all I do. Some like to "slip fit" the bullet but just try neck sizing and then slip fit to see how your rifle responds to both. You'll want to seat the bullet with the ogive just touching the lands. That will determine your OAL and how much powder/compression you'll need with a certain thickness wad, such as .030".

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164562&CAT=3777

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Black_Powder_Drop_Tube_it-159433.aspx?CAT=4002

Another source for goodies needed...

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1178/1

Lots of knowledgeable folks on black powder cartridge shooting at CastBoolits forum. You may want to try there for expertise.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?30-Black-Powder-Cartridge

Last edited:

Archie Otto

I use tablet backing for wads between powder and bullet. I full length size and bell the case necks to ease bullet seating and then crimp. A drop tube can be made from a 3/8" or 1/4" copper tube with a small funnel,
8aa62985-2fbe-4bab-b99d-6de4b10f05e6_zps2966591d.jpg

Doc Hoy

I do a lot of reloading of .45-70

For Trapdoors, Sharps and now Rolling Block. But I am not enough of a purist to have any decent advice.

I love the caliber though.

I think I like a light bullet (340 and opposed to 405) but I must repeat, I don't shoot for distance. Eyes not good enough.

Tnx,

SeanMP

Alright thanks for the tips folks. I will definitely not be full length resizing the brass. A properly indexed case in a single shot doesn't need it.

I'm still hoping to get away from doing any compression at all. As that would mean no field loading. Im not an egoist by any means and I'm not looking for the biggest charge possible. I need a shoot all day load.

Anyone have any experience with Goex fffg loads.

Chestnut Forge

The thing I love about the 45-70 is the range of loads you can use. Mine is a 1895 Marlin. I have loads worked up that are well below Trapdoor pressures all the way up to "What was I thinking?" loads. You know, when the hammer falls and the stars flash behind your eyes and you almost bite your tongue? I'm with Doc on the lighter bullets. I have found that on PA whitetail, the heavy slugs punch though without much expansion.

Doc Hoy

CF....

I come from SE PA and I think it is pretty much accepted that the round for white tail in that part of the state is .30-30. What is that, about half the weight of that 340 grain .45-70?

Seems like everyone had a Model 94. My Uncle (RIP) was the odd man out with a .270 but he used that and a .308 for hunting in the western part of the state.

He also had a .45 caliber Hawken which is now in the hands of my cousin. When he inherited it from my Uncle, he took it out in the same year and got a 210 pound buck. He decided he could do no better and so he retired it to its present place of honor over his fireplace.

SeanMP

Well I couldn't agree more on your choice of whitetail gun. The whitetail here in eastern ontario are a bit bigger than what I've seen in PA but the 30-30 and the 32 Special are outstanding in a fine '94.

My personal deer rifle though is 50cal mountain pattern that I shoot RB&Patch. Oddly it prefers a duplex load of 15gr fffg+50gr Pyro on top (Sort of odd I agree but this rifle likes it)

The new 45-70 will join the 38-55 as my fun time paper punchers. I ordered a Lyman 310 yesterday and I'm really looking looking forward to getting all the goodies here so I can start working up some real long range loads.

Off topic question but does anyone have any suggestions on a particular creedmore sight that works better than others on the Buffalo classic?

ColColt

I've got a Winchester Legendary Frontiersman in 38-55 and haven't as yet but want to try near a full case of Swiss 1.5 and see what groups I get as compared to 3031 or 4198.

B.L.E.

I thought the people who muzzle loaded the bullet used special barrels that had removable false muzzles that guided the bullet into the barrel. I think those guys also shot paper patched bullets, just like muzzle loading slug guns.

Jim Watson

Pope's breech-muzzleloaders had false muzzles and took grease groove bullets.
His intent was that any burr thrown up by engraving the rifling would be forward away from the important base. Seemed to work, but most modern schuetzen riflemen seem to go with breech seating.

I don't know how well muzzle loading a .45-70 will work, but if you want to try it, go ahead.

I am not sure I understand "field loading" though.