new to 1911 w/semi CCW question

wyobohunter

Santa is getting me a Springfield Mil-Spec (Government size 1911) for Christmas. I've never owned or carried a 1911 aside from a very short stint with a Llama I got for next to nothing just to give the 1911 platform a whirl. As you may have guessed, I love the platform but the Llama had serious accuracy and reliability issues. I used the Llama as a trade in on the Springfield (doubling the money I paid for it:D).

I carry "casually concealed". It will not bother me much if the trained eye can see the print of a gun or if my jacket/shirt moves out of the way and "gives me away" occasionally. I live in a right to carry state so, open or concealed makes little difference. I'm not necessarily trying to hide it but I don't want to flaunt it either. I carry concealed for the most part but I'm more concerned with comfort (including while driving), convience (I don't want the rig to invole more than a good belt), safety and accessability.

Guess that ^^^ horse was dead after the first sentence, sorry:p

What would those of you who carry full size 1911's suggest?

Silverado

I carry my 1911 in a CID bikini style holster from Simply Rugged. They are based out of Wisilla, Alaska. I also have a magazine holder for my spare mag. I'm pretty satisfied and my very best good friend who is an LEO uses them for his personal weapons.

www.simplyrugged.com

wyobohunter

Thanks

I'll check them out. esp. since I'll be getting a Simply Rugged Sourdough holster for my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. 2 birds, 1 stone:). Also, not to be too petty but, it's Wasilla, Alaska. Thanks again:D

Edit - looks like he moved to Arizona

Last edited:

KyJim

Best concealed carry is an inside the waste band holster. But, since you're mostly concerned about comfort, go with an OWB pancake style holster. Just about all holster makers carry these including the mass makers like Galco and Gould and Goodrich.

ottoshmotto

I carry a commander-sized Volkmann in either a AKJ Concealco IWB or a Galco shoulder rig...both work well for me in all climates/seasons.

mnhntr

Look at HBE Leatherworks online, call Eric and he will make you a quality, comfortable holster.
Or talk to Adam at Overland Gunleather and he will make youa quality, comfortable holster. Either one will be an excellent choice.