New to 1911: a S&W or a Springfield?

jtaylor

Hi, I'm about to buy my first auto, a 1911. I have only owned revolvers, but would like to have at least one auto!
I was set on a Springfield Loaded 5", but today at the local shop I saw the current $100 rebate for S&W 1911's !
What would you suggest, the SA or a S&W. Which S&W would be similar to the Loaded SA? With $100 off, it may be just a little cheaper than a SA. I'm just not sure which make is better quality. Thanks!

Unregistered

I would go with the S&W. I have had several Springfields in the past, and none were 100% reliable. My S&W has been 100% reliable, even with hollowpoints.

Others have had better luck than me with Springfields, but I am just telling you my experience and what I would do if it was me.

Pretty much any 1911 is going to be a crap shoot.

benny27

Springfield, I've never had any problems with mine. Springfield, Kimber, Colt, S&W, Para ord, Wilson, are all good brand 1911's. You just can't go wrong with a Springfield IMO.

sholling

First choice in the $700-1100 street price range S&W SW1911. My second choice would be a Springer 'Loaded" of some type.

RPSmith

I can't speak for S&W since I 've never owned one of their 1911 (but plenty of their revolvers).

However, my Springfield Armory 1911 mi-spec has never had one loading/feeding/firing problem ever. Not one in nearly 2000 rounds fired. It is an absolute workhorse that eats anything I feed it (FMJ, JSP, JHP, HP, LRN).

I just bought an SA Champion (loaded) in part because of my experience with my mil-spec. It is absolutely beautiful and you get a lot of gun for the price. Considering that it comes in stainless with illuminated sights, skeletonized trigger, skeletonized hammer, and extended beavertail, it has many of the options that I would spend extra to have on a base-line model.

I haven't shot the Champion yet (got it last night:D) but I can tell you that the fit, form, and balance is top-notch. A very quality piece. There are many others out there and I wouldn't limit myself to just SA or S&W.

I am not recommending one over the other but just saying that my experience with SA has been very positive. I feel that they offer very good quality for the price.

YukonKid

i think michael is biased ;)

i would go nighthawk :D

but since that wasnt a choice the i would go springfield, because they have a really good reputation and if you care about what military branch uses them, it would be marines and RTT

jtaylor

Wow! No clear answer, it's certainly going to be a tough choice. I like the name colt and the idea of a "Colt" but haven't seen one I liked and they're more money for what seems like less of a gun. If I came across a used one, I may go that route. Otherwise, I chose Springfield or S&W because my local shop deals both brands.
Might just come down to price too. Even with that $100 rebate, the S&W might cost more than the Loaded stainless that I like.
It'll be a tough choice! Leaning towards springfield still, but I'll see what the prices are.

WESHOOT2

making it easier

Both offer the best warranties.
Both offer the same potential for reliability and accuracy.

Both support our shooting sports.

But one is a 'Series 70', and one is not.
Matter?

I am not a Springfield Armory fan, nor a S&W fan, but circumstances have allowed me to currently own three Springfield 1911s (in 9x19, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP).
I have also had the opportunity to handle many (and shoot fewer) S&W 1911s, of every type.
Nice guns, all.

Can't lose with either, generally, so
Series 70? or not?

Richard

Buy the S&W. Why? You can be my guinea pig as I do not own one. I looked at 1911s by S&W and they appear very well made. With this said, I own three Springers and I like all three. Regards, Richard:D

auto45

They are pretty different as 1911s go!

S&W has a FP safety sytem activated by the grip safety and an external extractor. Springfield does not!

If that doesn't matter to you, I'd handle them and see which one you like.

IMO, I'd go Springfield...but!

patrol

either will do

I love my Smith 1911Sc. I also love my MilSpec that I dropped money in to get it to shoot as well as my "out of the box" Smith 1911Sc. If the Smith is the same price as the "loaded" Springfield go with it, you won't be dissappointed.

Chesster

If this thread keeps on, I will make everyone scream and recommend one of favorites, the RIA Tactical. Cheaper Too. :D

Here is a youtube link with some up close shots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-PK_Pe41WY

I especially like the compact RIA Tactical shown here with my Colt Officer's ACP

coltria006.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

JWT

S&W and Springfield both make fine guns. The S&W models with the Crimson Trace grips are very nice.

You might also want to take a look at some of the Colt models - can usually find some good used ones for a reasonable price.

Dan Wesson also makes a couple 1911's that you might want to take a look at.

I've shot Springfields and personally like the way my Colt and my Dan Wesson shoot over the Springfield.

jtaylor

Well, now I might just go with the S&W... Never had such a tough choice. Like everyone here, I'd buy one of each if I could.
It looks like I can get a more expensive S&W 1911 for less than the Springfield Loaded, since I can get the $100 rebate on the S&W 1911.
I looked at some colts too and for the same price range as the S&W or Springfield, the Colts don't seem as nice. Maybe their higher end 1911's are great, but I am limited to about $800 right now.