New Taurus 850 CIA - Problems already?

alamo

Just picked up my new Taurus 850 Titanium CIA within the past hour, dealer called & said it was in and I hustled over there. I think I may be the first on TFL to own a titanium 850 CIA, nobody else has reported owning one.

Did a cursory examination because I was in a hurry. It is very light, supposed to be 16 ounces but felt even lighter.

One thing I noticed was there was no gap between the cylinder and barrel, held it up to the light. There is a faint scraping noise when you close the cylinder. Dryfiring at the shop seemed OK. When I got in my car, I tried dryfiring again and thought I had somehow engaged the trigger lock, it was completely locked up. I released the trigger and it worked after that.

The trigger locked up 8-9 more times, usually when I was pulling it slowly to get a feel for it. I dryfired it on the way back to the office and when I got back it seemed to have stopped locking up and I could see the faintest of gaps between the cylinder and barrel although on some cylinders, I could not seem to detect a gap.

I've got 4 S&W revolvers and never experienced anything like this with them. Anyone see anything I need to be concerned about or will more dryfiring cure this? I'll need to take a better look at it when I get home.

Rob96

One thing I have noticed on Taurus revolvers, is that they seem to have very tight cylinder gaps. Look at some of the chrono tables in the different rags, the Tauri usually have a faster velocity, more gas going down the tube than out the sides. Run some rounds thru it at the range, if it still does it, send it too Taurus.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I've noticed that the "Total Ti" ones are definitely rougher out of the box than the aluminum/titanium "MultiAlloy" or conventional aluminum/steel "UltraLight" ones. They wear in just fine, in my experience, but all the ti bearing surfaces feel "gritty" when new. I'd suspect this an artifact related to milling the whole gun out of titanium...

E357

Have someone who understands revolvers look at it. If it is just a tight cylinder gap a local smith could open it up. If you want to do it yourself, get a 1/2 inch fine cut file or stone and go slow. File down the back of the barrel - never the cylinder.

Check by holding the empty gun pointed up in front of a light and working the double action. If the gap or lack of same is about equal all the way around the cylinder, you could do a little filing. If the gap is a lot tighter or larger on only a few charge holes, there is an alignment problem which Taurus needs to address.

Elliot

alamo

Took a better look at it tonight. On a couple of cylinders there is light all the way through, a very tiny gap. On 3 cylinders, at the bottom and bottom, it is just barely touching the barrel and I can see light in the middle. The gap between the cylinder and barrel is miniscule. The cylinder always doesn't lock in place very easily, very rough sometimes, guess it depends on which cylinder it is locking in. I think a few swipes with a file should take care of it. I'll see about getting a proper file and trying it unless someone has any other suggestions or doesn't think it would be a good idea based on what I've reported.