New Swede M96, Tag question

jefnvk

OK, I finally got a Swede , 1915 CG :D

I am looking for some information on the tag hanging off the trigger. I've heard both that it is a arsenal tag, and an importer tag. Can anyone help?

swede%20024.jpg

swede%20051.jpg

jefnvk

Tried them and gunboards. Problem is, no one seems to really know, but they're sure they're right.

scottys1

I don't know either, but it's probably an importer or warehouse tag of some sort.
I doubt they had plastic zip ties in 1915 or at whatever later date this rifle was mustered out of service. :p
I've seen these on many milsurp firearms.

jefnvk

Actually, I was told with certainty that the other tag, marked '74' is the date that an armorer last seen it.

I am tending to believe the importer tag story at this time. Guess I'll just take it off carefully, and keep it in case it does turn out to be something.

JohnKSa

Administrator
jeff,

I'm inclined to believe that whatever it means it is not important. The reason I say that is that if it WERE important someone would know what it means. ;)

(I'm not saying this is a good way to determine importance in general, but you've picked the brains of some pretty knowledgeable folks.)

jefnvk

Here's the reply I got back from Century Arms, the importer:
From what you describe, it does not seem like one of our tags which would have been attached to describe the model information and list the serial number (which would have been a 5-6 digit number on the side of the receiver).

If anyone knows of any other resources that I could try, I am open to suggestions.