New STI Trojan

horseman308

I brought home my first 1911 yesterday; it is the 9mm STI Trojan. I picked it after lots of research into Colts, Springfields, Kimbers, STI's, and a few others. While I read lots of reports on all of them, the STI was the only one that I couldn't find anyone complaining about significantly. I picked the 9mm because it will be cheaper and more pleasant to shoot in the full sized 1911. Since this is my only cartridge pistol (I'm mostly a blackpowder shooter), it'll get lots of use.

I'm really excited about it. I haven't shot it yet, but I have taken it down and cleaned it so that it's ready. I should get out to the range tomorrow. I will be changing out the FLGR for a standard GI length one. I might also add a S & A magwell and F/O front sight, but we'll see after I get some range time with it.

IMG_2206.jpg

9x19

Congrats!

I have the same pistol in hard-chrome and it has been just great. I also replaced the FLGR as well as the MSH. Ed Brown's chain-link matches the STI front strap very well.

STI Trojan 9mm
STITrojanHC.jpg

KyJim

Congratulations on your new STI. I think you have picked a good pistol for your first 1911.

Pud

I'm not a 1911 guy......

Yet.:eek:
But when I get one, I think it will probably be an STI!!:D
Congrats!

Pud

BradS

Congrats on your new purchase. I have owned several STI's in the past and made the mistake of selling them to finance other purchases. The STI is a high quality pistol (IMHO) and it's made in Texas.
Enjoy

bluetopper

Congrats........get you some range pickup brass and some cast lead bullets online and you can shoot it for what good .22 ammo costs.........I do.

horseman308

Just got back from the range. I didn't shoot it a ton - about 120 rounds. Absolutely flawless. No FTE's or FTF's; I hadn't shot a 9mm 1911 before, but it is really nice and smooth. Just enough to know you've shot something but very pleasant.

I got a couple extra mags with it - the same stock mags as the one that comes with the pistol - and they all worked great. They seem a little stiff at first when trying to load them to full capacity, but they never hiccuped once they were full and in the pistol. All in all, it was a great choice for my first 1911. Can't wait to shoot it some more. I'm gonna be looking for a local IDPA match, too.

horseman308

I think it is. At least, STI's website says that it is IDPA and IPSC approved. I think I've also read where some people have said they use them in IDPA. Functionally, it's just like any other 1911 with a FLGR. Once my GI guide rod and plug get here, it'll be just like any stock 1911, except for the adjustable rear sight.